Discuss On car battery charging. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

westward10

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Now I haven't charged a car battery since my teen days but it seems our two year old car like many now are dependant on a good charge for all the functions to operate, the stop/start rarely works and the dealer who we know told me what I already knew it does not go far enough each day. They have charged it up free a couple of times but I now have a so called smart charger so the question is can I charge it without disconnecting the battery as I am seeing different views on this. The instructions are good as useless and the handbook for the car makes no mention.

I know quite a few people who use the CTEK chargers for charging / maintaining battery charge while still on the vehicle and some of those people actually use the 12S towing socket to connect to the vehicle battery rather than lift the bonnet

I have the Noco 10 which is similar to the CTEK and all these chargers are a bit more intelligent than the older transformer and rectifier in a box chargers in that they will move to a float / maintainance charge once the battery reaches full charge and can be left attached to the vehicle for weeks and even months without any problems

Yes I did a bit of research and CTEK seem to come out well and as you say a different kettle of fish to the old chargers as they can be left on to monitor and boost as necessary. Can't have been that low as it was fully charged after three hours but these modern cars seem very temperamental and will probably only last a couple of weeks before it says it is shutting down non-essential systems as it is only driven six miles to and from work.

I use the ctek on my Jag from time to time and also leave it semi permanently connected to my motorbike. I never disconnect the battery on either.

Now I haven't charged a car battery since my teen days but it seems our two year old car like many now are dependant on a good charge for all the functions to operate, the stop/start rarely works and the dealer who we know told me what I already knew it does not go far enough each day. They have charged it up free a couple of times but I now have a so called smart charger so the question is can I charge it without disconnecting the battery as I am seeing different views on this. The instructions are good as useless and the handbook for the car makes no mention.

I know that some cars have a means of putting the car into dealer mode, some older Peugeot has a shunt fuse and some you need to programme via the obd port the bad thing is that it then doesn't hold radio memory also the remote central locking via keyfob won't work, but the car uses 0 current.

Well since it hit full charge last week my girlfriend who predominantly drives it said the stop/start has operated once this week.

Have you monitored the charging rate while driving normally, you can buy a cheap voltage meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. All modern cars with smart alternator charging vary the charging voltage between ~ 12.8v and 14.8/15V on car overrun with accelerator released.

Well since it hit full charge last week my girlfriend who predominantly drives it said the stop/start has operated once this week.
Lots of prerequisites for start /stop to function, not just battery condition things such as engine temperature and Air con along with a string of other things usually depending on the make / model.

Obviously none of these are being met in your case, short journeys for some cars are not good at all causing cat / dpf and turbo problems.
Also battery changes on modern cars usually need programming in, again depending on the make / model

It is a Fiesta ST3 and owned since new in 2020. Fine through the first summer, one winter and never been the same since but admittedly it only does a short trip each day. Apparently this is none too uncommon for this model but being serviced in a month or so and will throw the problem at them. All the other parts which shut down like touch door opening now fully function but they only need limited power.

It is a Fiesta ST3 and owned since new in 2020. Fine through the first summer, one winter and never been the same since but admittedly it only does a short trip each day. Apparently this is none too uncommon for this model but being serviced in a month or so and will throw the problem at them. All the other parts which shut down like touch door opening now fully function but they only need limited power.
I suppose the only way forward is battery test and current consumption after every module that's going to goes to sleep.
Should be looking at around 50ma or so.

Nice car. I like a Fiesta ST.

Reply to On car battery charging. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net