Discuss Panel problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Like I said the shunt is clearly visible, upper right of the isolator near the 3 phase bus.

It may just need commissioning correctly.

It is likely to be a shunt but to be open minded here, it may be one of many trips that can be fitted hence I motioned to look at the schematics which seem to be sat in the bottom.

It is likely to be a shunt but to be open minded here, it may be one of many trips that can be fitted hence I motioned to look at the schematics which seem to be sat in the bottom.
With the CT connected (you can see the grey flex both ends) to the unit it has to be an RCD?

Bloody hell..had to expand that to super size to see it, yes it does look like the unit to the left of the 4 motor overloads is an eartheakage monitor, that been the case the red wire on the main switch will be as I suggested before just looking for a closed loop or it won't hold.
Are you veiwing this on a 42inch screen or what ?

The earth leakage relay is probably adjustable and probably didn't get set up right from the start, it may need adjusting now the motors are aging
Sorry guys, forgot to let you know, turns out antony you are spot on, it was set quite low 0.5ma and 0.5 time delay. It has worked like this for around 10 months no problems. Have turned up to 1.5ma and 1.5 time delay and all is good. Thanks again everyone for the help :D

Sorry guys, forgot to let you know, turns out antony you are spot on, it was set quite low 0.5ma and 0.5 time delay. It has worked like this for around 10 months no problems. Have turned up to 1.5ma and 1.5 time delay and all is good. Thanks again everyone for the help :D

Was this a random hit and hope job or did you work out the correct settings for this particular system?

Was this a random hit and hope job or did you work out the correct settings for this particular system?
I had a second opinion of a panel builder friend of mine, he could not see the point of this particular circuit in the wiring diagram, he has made panels and installed them in almost identical situations so he agreed that i should try turning it up first otherwise to bypass it but as it worked by turning it up its all good

Then he's a tard.
That may be your opinion. This forum seems to be full of people that just want to criticise everything everyone says . Suppose all of you guys have been perfect since day1 on the job! Never had to ask for help!?
Well i will not be wasting any more time on here. :D

I guess the panel builder doesn't know much about M&Q regs, why would he.

Best hope nothing goes wrong, as on your head be it.

Just to add, M&Q is statute law an has teeth unlike bs7671

I had a second opinion of a panel builder friend of mine, he could not see the point of this particular circuit in the wiring diagram, he has made panels and installed them in almost identical situations so he agreed that i should try turning it up first otherwise to bypass it but as it worked by turning it up its all good

There must be a point to it, otherwise it would not be there. Nobody will have put expensive components in to a panel for no good reason.

I can appreciate adjusting it as part of a fault finding process, but adjusting it permanently when you don't even know why it is there just makes no sense.

The CT at the bottom of the panel looks like a core balanced transformer to me, therefore the entire system is being monitored for earth leakage, this is why the isolator is tripping. Glad I'm not looking for the fault!!

Reply to Panel problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net