Discuss Part P... going round and around and around... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Sparky for 20 years I would think. Then took a break from it.
Just started up again this year, and I have got my first install (renewed the 17th earlier in the year 2382-12 IET).
So.. yep... need the pain-in-the-bum Part P.

However, this job and its my only job) is barely going to make me enough to buy a new test kit. Let alone the registration fees with Elecsa or whoever.

Plus, they want to see a back history of work... which isn't possible yet.

Options? I 'think' I can ask the building inspector to arrange for the extension to be inspected. I am guessing he will want to see it before its plastered.
Therefore, at least I can get this particular job signed off correctly by taking that route.

But then... the only job I have managed to get so far in these down times has been certified by someone else. Not helping my case

Its a stupid loop. Why the heck did I do all this training & 20+ years on site? Apparently I am still not to be trusted.

Arrggh

They will not want to see a 'histor' of work, as long as the job is substantial enough to cover most aspects e.g a board change with some circuit work and bonding would be plenty for the registration!

elecsa only needs to see one job, and it doesn't matter if it's finnished. you can sighn off your work up to a month after finishing it. therefore everyone does a job board change an example book elecsa apointment take test tell examiner not finnished yet, sign it off when get elecsa number.can't help with cost of meter though or calibration public liability books etc.

There are a few good people who are saying stuff part P. As long as the work is carried out in accordance with bs7671 and the appropriate certs are provided you will not be prosecuted. As someone pointed out on a previous thread.....can you imagine what the judge would say when he was informed Mr Electric had been hauled to the bench to answer charges of doing work fully in accordance with bs7671 and to the complete satisfaction of the client?
I'm not a sole trader....but if I was I think that is the route I would take.

I think I am just getting myself wound up now.
I have been really struggling to get work over the last 18 months (north east UK), and I know I do good work to BS7671... but want to make sure its 100% correct - which includes required certificates.
It worries me more than it should I expect.

All the different scheme providors are in competition for members so I'm sure they will be keen to make it as easy as possible to get your work signed off. Give them a call and see what they say. Doesn't help with the fees though.

I think I am just getting myself wound up now.
I have been really struggling to get work over the last 18 months (north east UK), and I know I do good work to BS7671... but want to make sure its 100% correct - which includes required certificates.
It worries me more than it should I expect.
Do not worry; all they want is your money (and lots of it). You'll pass fine; after all it's only domestic. No problem.

I had a look at joining Elecsa yesterday, £444 or £730 odd with I&T assessment.
Is that it or do you have to pay for the normal assessment on top?
Cheers!

No idea, ring them. All part P is a rip off to you and your customers. If you are skilled enough, get approved status with NICEIC and forget domestic work all together. Good Luck

There are a few good people who are saying stuff part P. As long as the work is carried out in accordance with bs7671 and the appropriate certs are provided you will not be prosecuted. As someone pointed out on a previous thread.....can you imagine what the judge would say when he was informed Mr Electric had been hauled to the bench to answer charges of doing work fully in accordance with bs7671 and to the complete satisfaction of the client?

I'm pleased to see sense finally dawning. :)

Surely the only thing that you could be prosecuted for is 'not notifying'.

Unfortunately, it's nothing to do with the standard of the work.

Sparky for 20 years I would think. Then took a break from it.
Just started up again this year, and I have got my first install (renewed the 17th earlier in the year 2382-12 IET).
So.. yep... need the pain-in-the-bum Part P.

However, this job and its my only job) is barely going to make me enough to buy a new test kit. Let alone the registration fees with Elecsa or whoever.

Plus, they want to see a back history of work... which isn't possible yet.

Options? I 'think' I can ask the building inspector to arrange for the extension to be inspected. I am guessing he will want to see it before its plastered.
Therefore, at least I can get this particular job signed off correctly by taking that route.

But then... the only job I have managed to get so far in these down times has been certified by someone else. Not helping my case

Its a stupid loop. Why the heck did I do all this training & 20+ years on site? Apparently I am still not to be trusted.

Arrggh

If this is a new extension it only has to have the certificates issued,(by a competent person) it is already notified with the original building regs.

if you register with one of the bodies do you still have to do part p as well i thought once you paid your money to niceic etc that was it how much do you have to pay on top to become part p or am i missing something

Its all a load of cobblers.
I called in at the council offices to see if he was happy to just accept my test certificates for the extension (part of it does technically class as part of a kitchen - hence Part P required).
Nope... wanted either me to be registered with a body, or use their testing contractor. £305 fee for the honour.

My test equipment is getting tired and need replacing. Its due for recalibration anyway.

So... after a long hard think about it, I have got the client to pay the £305 and the council can do it. Its cheaper than me paying a lump of cash to Elecsa or whoever to tell me that I know what I have been doing for the last 20+ years. Its p***ed me off so much that my return to sparking may be short lived.
Kinda wish I hadn't bothered doing the IET 17th 2382-12 course earlier in the year now.

Much as I would like to take a stand and say 'get stuffed'.. you can't.
The rules are you must provide Part P compliance and simply saying take me to court over it is not worth the trouble to me or the client (who rightfully deserves the correct paperwork.

The building inspector told me today that plans are afoot to change the 'paperwork laden' method of approval now, and that it will be possible for anyone to do their own wiring (DIYers etc), and then simply get a qualified (and registered I assume) sparky to check it and issue the Part P if he is happy with the work.

Its all grief and not worth the worry
Thanks for all your advice guys

I know it's a nonsense and a pain to bother with but it does only work out to a tenner a week and a couple of quid for each notification.

Then once you are registered all you have to do is notify the registration body on line of notifiable jobs.

No dealing the LABC.

an extension will already be subject to building control, and so will have had a building notice raised. you are then able to install and certify without being a member of a scam. BC will accept your cert. as long as you show them that you are qualified.

So if this council associated company are coming out to check my first fix, and then at the end to inspect my second fix.... are they going to do all the test certs? Or just look at it and say 'yes' or 'no' to the part P compliance?
For £305 they should do all the bloody paperwork

Steve, you do sound tired.

You haven't said if you have any testing and inspection quals. Do you have 2391 or 2392? Is that maybe why the LBCO won't accept your certs and insist on their own testing?

Laurie

Hi Laurie
No - don't have the testing certs (never really needed them until now). I obviously know how to test, and when I did the 2382-12 earlier in the year, I was going to do the 2391 straight afterwards.
But the training centre advised I wait until the replacement courses came in, as I only had a few months left to complete the 2391 and it was a little tight in time.
Finances have gone south since then

Yep... tired and a little beaten at the moment mate

My test equipment is getting tired and need replacing. Its due for recalibration anyway.s

Steve The NICEIC are happy for you to have your own calibration system,

get your self a check box and have a designated socket outlet in your house which you RCD check once a month, keep records (there is a form on their website for this purpose) apparently they are more than happy with that.

Might keep your costs down a bit and keep the old meter in service a bit longer.

hope it helps

To anybody reading this thread pondering about the logic of signing up or not, they must be thinking what a mess.

Scam schemes they maybe but membership means you can self certify after each job and not have to bother with LABC - to me its a no brainer and I charge £10.00 a time for the notification - and when people question the charge I suggest they check with LABC for fees - they think again quite quickly.

Most of the Labc guys I have met fall into 2 main camps and one very small minority camp

Camp No 1 They don't know anything much about Part p and don't want to know anything much either

Camp No 2 They know something of it,but wont or cant be bothered to spend much time or thought on its running

Camp No 3 These are a very small minority indeed. thats because I have yet to meet anyone from labc who gives tuppence about part P

icon7.png

Well unfortunately, my Labc guys fall into camp 3 then... cause they know all about it and are pretty strict.
That... actually doesn't bother me. Its just a stupid system that hits the wrong people.
I should be able to show my 2382-12 certs and all the other certs I have under my belt, along with 20+ years as a spark and that should allow me to sign off my own work.
Perhaps simply be on a register with the council or somebody else.
Or perhaps take a test at a local test centre to prove my abilities, and be issued with a card.
But I should not have to be forced to join an association, who fleece me for money I really don't have, to tell other people I know what I am doing.
Right now... sparking is not looking like my future, which is a shame.

Reply to Part P... going round and around and around... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net