Discuss Pat test on cooker in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

orac77

Hi,This might sound like a stupid request but how with a standard pat tester do you test a cooker when you can not plug the 6mm into the s/o of pat tester or do you just croc clips on to cable then test.Thx

Thx for that,is that a FAT test then, its just that i was working at a house and they are going to rent it out and asked for the cooker to be tested.

you can IR test ther cooker with a MFT or megger 500v tester. you also need to check continuity of cpcd tothe metalwork of the appliance.that's about it

This is all covered in the IEE Code of practice for the in-service inspecting and testing of electrical equipment.

Obviously a fixed appliance is not subjected to the tougher conditions of use as say a vacuum cleaner. Therefore testing intervals can be far more generous.

Its not a portable appliance , but when carrying out the fixed wire test it worth testing it in the same manner ( continuity , IR , Earth test ), especially if there is age to the cooker

Its not a portable appliance , but when carrying out the fixed wire test it worth testing it in the same manner ( continuity , IR , Earth test ), especially if there is age to the cooker

On that argument, you would do the portable appliances too!

These are separate tests unless the client has asked for them.

A cooker should still be tested. The idea that it's called portable appliance testing and a cooker is not intended to be moved during use is just a lazy play on words; swapping a plugtop for a FCU doesn't negate the need for testing.

Pat (Portable Appliance Testing), is in-service inspecting and testing of electrical equipment and not just portable appliances.
It should have really been called “APPLIANCE TESTING”
And as IQ Electrical said it is covered in the
IEE Code of practice for the in-service inspecting and testing of electrical equipment.
Every pAT tester should really have a copy of it as this is what you are supposed to be working to.

It does NOT just cover portable appliances Nor just appliances with a plug on

IEE Code of practice for the in-service inspecting and testing of electrical equipment.
Refers:

Page 2 fig 1.
The code of practice provides guidance on the inspection and testing of portable, movable and hand tools and equipment connected by means of a cable or cord connected to a outlet plate; appliances to build in; IT equipment; extension leads, multiway adapters and suppressor adapters.

Extract from Section 15.2 Page 72.
Equipment that is permanently connected to a flex outlet type of accessory can more easily be tested using an insulation/continuity test instrument with the test leads connected directly to the accessory terminals. The supply to the accessory is required to be isolated and proved dead at the point of work before testing commences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
you could make up your own test lead to pat tester to do this
this is something i did with my pat tester so i could do the earth bond test at 25Amp as most continuity testers only do the earth screen continuity test @ approx 200mA

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pat test on cooker in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net