Discuss PAT testing courses in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, we all know it is In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment now...

We are thinking of sending our technician on a course to get some formal accreditation in this. We have a Seaward 100 (that our now-retired technician used at our previous place), and they can work their way through our own equipment, IEC cables, etc, to build up an up-to-date inventory and of course to know it is all looking generally OK. so its really.

Anyone got suggestions for the good/bad/ugly in terms of such courses running in Scotland?

Does it have to be accredited with anyone? It’s just for in-house equipment.
As long as they’re competent.

Or is it for the insurance tick-box

Interestingly, I was browsing in a charity shop a few weeks ago, and they offered PAT testing courses if you volunteered… along with till training.
I don’t know if it meant professionally trained course or just being shown how to do it by another member of staff.

Local college not do anything like that?

Does it have to be accredited with anyone? It’s just for in-house equipment.
Just for in-house equipment.
As long as they’re competent.

Or is it for the insurance tick-box
It is a mixture of reasons. One client is wanting use to be ISO-9001 QA certified in due course, so stuff like this helps, and also I think it is good for moral if you send folks on courses to get some professional development, etc, from time to time.

We have the latest ISITEE book and an in-calibration Seaward tester so its not much to get all duck in-line for QA.
Interestingly, I was browsing in a charity shop a few weeks ago, and they offered PAT testing courses if you volunteered… along with till training.
I don’t know if it meant professionally trained course or just being shown how to do it by another member of staff.

Local college not do anything like that?
Might be worth asking for sure.

I did a course some years ago and it was excellent. The couple who ran it are based in England but they ran courses all over the uk, and mine was just outside Glasgow. I checked their website but sadly they don't offer such courses anymore.
I bought one of their testers, and sent it for calibration every year. Good, fast service and any queries promptly answered by email. I haven't had it calibrated recently as that line of work has dried up, and I have another tester anyway.
On the charity front, there is one local charity that takes electrical stuff in whereas most don't. I called into the shop and asked who did their testing. The guy didn't know but referred me to their website, so I had a look and indeed they were looking for all sorts of skills including PA Testing. I applied, on a voluntry basis and after 4 years I haven't had a reply...guess that's a "no" then. I wouldn't do it for them now anyway as it's boring af

Attachments

• 207_PAT-Testing.pdf
    893.8 KB · Views: 1
SELECT run online courses for the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. £220.00 Plus VAT for SELECT Members. £295.00 Plus VAT for non-members.​
Thanks for that suggestion for SELECT's virtual course, though I rather think it would be better to send him on an in-person course to get better feedback, maybe a bit of hands-on demonstrations, etc.

Reply to PAT testing courses in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net