Discuss PAT testing for Blind People!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Vitesse

A bizarre title I know but as anyone knows when you hit a certain age your eyesight for reading starts to get worse and you end up needing reading glasses. All those times you took the pee out of four eyed children at primary school come back to haunt you.

Anyway I pitch up for any eye test today with my local opticians with my logoed electrical business polo shirt on and she confirms to my horror that I have a floater in my eye!!!!!!!! Google it because it's new to me.

Anyway she says do you do PAT testing, so I thought ok a bit of business. I say how many items ish. So I think sounds ok. But I don't have a PAT tester but I have a kewtech adaptor to use with my MFT that I have used when a landlord wants a couple of items checked and approved.

I am NICEIC Domestic approved but to be PAT approved with them you need to pass the 2 x C&G exams costing in the region of £400 and pay them an additional amount for registration which I think is about another £400-500? It seems stupid really if all you need to do with a PAT tester is push a few buttons but understand what you are doing.

To PAT test the H&S rules say you need to be a competent. Which I hope I am because I have all the relevant qualifications, experience and I am registered.

Is there anything to stop me PAT testing an issuing my own certs if I do it outside of NICEIC? I can buy a Seward 100 for about £200, but if I do the opticians testing she will let me have my new lenses costing £120 for free.

I'm currently with Elecsa and very occasionally do a bit of PAT testing. I certainly wouldn't be paying a registration body another £x00 a year for the privilege.

Do NICEIC say explicitly that you cannot do ISITEE without this additional registration?

If you are competent, you have read and applied the information in the code of practice and have the kit, labels and paperwork then you can do PAT testing.
The kewtech adaptor is only suitable for a small number of items as it is much slower than a dedicated tester, (but it is what I use for the occasional PAT test), it does not permit the high current earth bond test.
However the inspection is much more critical.

This testing is totally outside the scope of self certification schemes, unless you want to pay lots of money for nothing.

It's nothing to do with the nic, as long as you are competent have the correct calibrated equipment and relevant insurance then you are ok.

Just get the appliances tested, if you only have the kewtech adapter then fair enough, it isn't ideal but can perform insulation resistance and earth continuity, a visual inspection and making sure the appliance works as it should covers the basis tests! I would get yourself even just a basic tester though asap, looks better, does all the tests with ease and makes you look better to the customer! Get some stickers for the appliances as these are needed to show the test has been carried out and passed, it isn't a requirement to have a logbook of the results, but if you're doing a large amount in say a commercial property it may be asked for!

Thanks for all your replies. I have decide to shell out on the Seaward 100 from Test Meter UK, I get a freebie PAT testing kit so I am sure it will pay for itself.

I did wonder if there was a cheap Pat Testing Meter that just dose the job, as wouldnt be doing it much
Seaward 100 looks very basic but i guess it dose the job, ive not gone in to all the spec

but when it comes down to things its how the handle over years and reviews can be made up on web sites
(did see a US comdy program displaying a food mixer and blows up, so the guy says while we wait for a new one who will do some reviews (af-ree-dav-isds) and then said $10 and how many sold their solos after seeing this unit blow up)
but here the reviews will be raw and truthful..(unless any kick backs and if so shair around please)

Reply to PAT testing for Blind People!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net