Discuss Pet hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

People who only secure knockout boxes with one screw. Or fit shallow boxes leaving a massive gap. Or 'forget' to fit grommets. Or, having fitted a grommet, pull too many cables through and the grommet comes out but they just leave it. Or stuff loads of wires behind a light switch and force them into place with the accessory. Muck spreaders who leave gaps around knockouts so big I need to go to wholesalers and buy a bag of plaster. People who twist CPCs together. Folk who cut the wires in boxes too short to reach accessory terminals. Hmm I want to go home. :)

People who leave loads of copper showing on terminations, working on old gear where the maintenance staff leave loose earth connections or disconnected, ground workers who install ducting with loads of bends on it, to save them 10 mins extra on a core drill!!
people who bolt the banjo to the gland plate, but don't use a fly lead, and don't scrape any paint away, thereby making the banjo useless!

The job I'm on today is terrible, really shoddy workmanship throughout. The guy who did it has 'disappeared' since I came and badmouthed his work. I've just unscrewed one of the sockets he's 'finished' and the neutrals just popped out of the terminal. He hasn't tightened up any of the connections, just poked the wires in. I've had to take everything off and start again. Problem is gonna be working out where he's routed some of the cables, cos I don't trust any of it. In the cellar, just looking where the cables have been pulled through holes in the joists, there are a few where the sheath has been stripped off, found one so far where the line insulation has also been ragged off, leaving exposed live copper. Quality. Also seems to have 'recycled' some old red/black cable, passing it off as new.

Last edited:
new employees who walk slowly, HATE IT! at least pretend you want a job!!! and sparks who have a bigger flask and sandwich box that their tool box, and sparks who borrow tools, BUY YOUR OWN!! and sparks who think that their foreman has never done what they are doing, better! and anyone who does not charge drill battery's when they change them, and i really, really, really, hate any tradesman that thinks the world owes them a living, a fair days pay for a fair days work mate!... i better go and calm down...

People who call a fuseboard a fusebox

Apprentices who walk round with their hands in their pockets and talk in that stupid street talk

Foremen who ask if you have "finished that little job i gave you?",when its about 3 days work for 2 men and you have only been on it 2 hours

When you are balanced on a rickety scaffold or tall steps doing something really fiddly and you ask the mate/apprentice for a couple of screws and they give you 1 or 2 NOOO!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME HALF A DOZEN OR TEN !!!!!!!!!!You can see theres a good chance i am going to drop them

People who take things like rawlpugs and put the empty boxes back in the stores

when you have left a nice bit of slack on a coil of cable and plasterers cut it down to about 6 inches because they cant be bothered to tie them up

When you are running a job and you get the clever so and so who wants to have an input on every single thing you tell them to do or make a suggestion on how to do it better or asked if you have thought about this or that.

I could go on..................

<snip>

When you are balanced on a rickety scaffold or tall steps doing something really fiddly and you ask the mate/apprentice for a couple of screws and they give you 1 or 2 NOOO!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME HALF A DOZEN OR TEN !!!!!!!!!!You can see theres a good chance i am going to drop them

<snip>

Well... If you want half a dozen screws (6) don't ask for a couple (2) :)

far worse is them who twist cpc's together then shove them into 1 piece of sleeving. AAARRRGGGH.

Reply to Pet hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net