Discuss Pet Hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Electrical manufacturers who don't design their products with installer in mind
-people who cut cables too short in backboxes
-apprentices who are scared of heights
-those black drill bits that snap if you look at them the wrong way

Sticky accessories in filthy kitchens
UKPN/EDF
The guy that done this:

photo-1.JPG

Three lights, two switches, working through spaghetti-cable going all over the place, three-cores with yellows snipped off, T&E with cpc used as another core, eight junction boxes with extra connector blocks wedged in, and to top it off the pong of a rotting dead mouse!

Effing builders (again)

a) They've managed to lose one of my downlight cables in the ceiling, meaning they must have (for some reason) taken it out of its clips and moved it.

b) A while ago they picked up my grey jumper mistaking it for one of theirs (odd, as mine is ten-year-old size), now it has come back, absolutely covered in hard blobs of plaster.

Next time the cat does a whoopsie on the carpet I will chuck it in the back of their van.

Fitting fiddly arsed light fittings in old people's houses where they have the heating on constantly.....I know you feel the cold more than younger folks but it s approx 200 degrees Celsius up here and this light you bought is a PITA to fit....although I am glad you have the heating on and can afford to do so.....

I feel your pain, GayOwl, a while ago I had to change around 200 downlights in an old folks home, it was like spending 3 months in an oven.

Here's one from last night: Removing two dustpans-full of mouse droppings out of a dingy meter cupboard before I could start work, and I'd left my beloved head torch on another site, so with these stupid new colours which look all the same in low light it was pretty much guess-work which colour went to which phase. If a 3ph cooker is wired backwards will it cool stuff down?

I hate working with poorly manufactured cables where it's almost impossible to strip the sheath because it's stuck to the insulation on internal wires. I also hate working in machinery where you get cut to ribbons by the sharp cut edges of panels that haven't been deburred properly and end up bleeding everywhere.

Re: 16yr old looking for an electrical apprenticeship in the Leeds/bradford area

People who really do not have a clue on how to wire and tie wrap to cable basket. It winds me up so much that they cross sides and have loads of tie wraps on corners and don't cut old ones off or stick to their own rail!

Inappropriately large earth sleeving. It is wasteful, awkward to deal with, and looks a mess.

I was annoyed to find them using huge sleeving for no reason at college, and when I pointed out they make 2mm sleeving which fits all T&E up to 6mm they took up my suggestion and bought that instead. Then I suggested they could sell all the cable that gets ripped off the walls (IE 100% of every drum) and get the value for scrap, which they now do.

Image153.jpg

Here's one from today: on a kitchen re-wire me leaving all the light cables in the multi-gang switch so I can disconnect them in order and note down what does what, but no, the builder has hacked them all off (not that he needed to anyway) so now I have about 10 1mm t+e's which all look the same and no clue as to which one does what. What a pain in the cod-piece...
well just go round and hack off all the handles to his trowels/floats etc.....
whats right for one n all that lot....

dropping a screw in a room with nothing it on a black floor

- - - Updated - - -

dropping a screw in a room with nothing it on a black floor

Reply to Pet Hates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net