Search the forum,

Discuss Photovoltaic Introductory Course in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BigSi

-
Reaction score
A training centre near me has started to run a Photovoltaic introductory course lasting about a day. I’m really tempted to book a place, so I can get a very basic understanding about what’s involved in the design, installing, testing, & commissioning PV systems.

I’ve read the odd bit of literature, and the pages in the professional electrician magazines, but I’m also interested in your views too.

I’m only a sole-trader, but the whole process (scaffolding, roofing), and the cost of the PV systems themselves feels a little, how should I put it…intimidating!:eek:

I think there certainly is an up-and-coming market for renewable energy, but given the current economic climate, are customers ready to invest thousands of pounds in such a system?

I certainly would like to get involved in the industry, as lately I’ve lost a few jobs to ‘tree-huggers’……..those who want to save trees by not giving the customer any paper….you get my drift!!!!!

I would be interested to hear your views, especially those who work alone or in pairs.

Is the NICEIC course that bad? Were you on the course down Brighton way?

Yes, it is that bad. Over-emphasis on off-grid battery systems and sorely lacking in detail. Mind you, the training provider I was sent to didn't help - it was painfully obvious that the trainer didn't know what the hell he was talking about. He caused much confusion and frustration to those on the course who were completely new to PV. "Photovoltallics" - FFS at least get the name right!!! Very poor.

I have also spent £650 on the NICEIC PV and Health and Safety courses. The students learnt more from each other than the course content, the training centre near exeter didn't have a working rig, a complete waste of money and time. The exam was a farce because the rig didn't work so the tutor gave us all the answers anyway!!!

The attitude from the trainer was "you are buying a peice of paper to get through MCS and nobody ever fails" nuff said...

ploughcroft roofing do a training course for pv it covers all aspects of the installation thay do on site training as well tele 01484 723344

so the pv course on offer, should it enable you to design and install start to finish or does it just let you work with installers , if ya's get me..cheers,

I have done the in-house course and it starts with design with solar logic installer course then hands on in their training centre. Fom roof aspect right back to the mcb. The best part was the hands on install of the inverters sma and solarmax. It helps when you are new to pv industry + the advice from their installation team was very informative especially based around the roofing aspect.

Mastech training limited in Birmingham are doing C & G 2372 PV for £595.00 all in been looking at PV and C&G have always been a good bet. 4 days.

Sounds good but Ploughcroft didn't leave any blanks where other courses have done in the past. It would be good to get more feedback on this so we all know where the best training is!!!!!

A training centre near me has started to run a Photovoltaic introductory course lasting about a day. I’m really tempted to book a place, so I can get a very basic understanding about what’s involved in the design, installing, testing, & commissioning PV systems.

I’ve read the odd bit of literature, and the pages in the professional electrician magazines, but I’m also interested in your views too.

I’m only a sole-trader, but the whole process (scaffolding, roofing), and the cost of the PV systems themselves feels a little, how should I put it…intimidating!:eek:

I think there certainly is an up-and-coming market for renewable energy, but given the current economic climate, are customers ready to invest thousands of pounds in such a system?

I certainly would like to get involved in the industry, as lately I’ve lost a few jobs to ‘tree-huggers’……..those who want to save trees by not giving the customer any paper….you get my drift!!!!!

I would be interested to hear your views, especially those who work alone or in pairs.

MCS accredited in October, husband and wife team, zillions of hours of paperwork and several thousand £'s later we have 2 installs under our belt, one booked for next week, 14 pending surveys of which I'm fairly confident at least 4 will convert and more leads than we can deal with.

We use a local scaffolder and a local roofer - they love it because payment is within a few days of completion. We love it cos they're the experts in their field and we don't need to worry about it.

If you have a bit of spare cash and don't mind the paperwork - go for it. One word of caution NICEIC are very good at head office - loads of advice but their training is rubbish.

Hope that helps. :)

I also believe solar energy has a promising market potential. But seriously, I think you need extra cash to make it work or if your planing to invest on it. Or, I heard, they have this smaller solar system available for those who wants to invest in solar energy but is not yet fully set up for the whole system.

Reply to Photovoltaic Introductory Course in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net