Discuss Planning / Building Regs Article in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am rather cynical about our Council's attitude (South Glos). It all comes down to money. They make money out of planning permission applications. They make money out of Householder Enquiries asking whether planning permission is needed. So they encourage them. Until last Christmas, Householder Enquires for renewable energy projects were free, but that was quietly dropped from their website and now they charge ÂŁ74 just for asking whether planning permission is needed.

On the building regs front, I am still not clear whether we can self-certify. I think BCBs are not reading or deliberately failing to implement the regulations. Again down to money and trying to show how busy they are in these cost cutting times. South Glos tell me that we can only self certify Part P elements and that they have to have a Building Notice submitted in order to check the structural aspects. Napit MD tells me that once MCS registered then you can self certify the whole lot. NAPIT assessor tells me its a grey area. I put a Building Notice in on behalf of the customer for my first job because I was not MCS registered then, but I do not intend to put in any others once my MCS PV registration comes through.

Regards
Bruce

Last edited:
Got it writing from two councils, and it is very clear, so long as MCS registered with one of the bodies listed in the regulation below, you are deemed a 'Competent person' as part of the Self-certification - however that still means you have to have the structural calcs etc done!

It's covered explicity by Statutory Instrument 2010 No 2214 The Building Regulations 2010

See :
Items 17 and 20 of Schedule 3 [Regulations 12(6)(a) and 20(1)]
Self-certification Schemes and Exemptions from
Requirement to Give Building Notice or Deposit Full Plans

I'll happily challenge any Building Inspector to prove otherwise.

Thanks for that. I knew that schedule existed somewhere but had not dug it out. It seems quite clear it came into force on 1 Oct 10. By the end of next week I expect to have my certificate and be a 'competent person' in MCS PV terms, so I will be on solid ground. It seems astonishing that South Glos were maintaining a different line only a few weeks ago.
Regards
Bruce

A potential customer of mine approached their local planning department following a structural report where additional bracing is recommended and received the following response:

I am in receipt of a copy of your letter received 12 April 2011 concerning the above, passed to me by the Planning Department.

I would confirm that a Building Regulation Application will be required for the work if the weight of the new solar panels will affect the existing rafters/joists in the roof. I enclose the necessary forms and guidance notes for your information.

The Planning Department will reply under separate cover in respect of any requirements for Planning Permission.

Worcester's above post confirms the situation with regard to the building regulations. Is the best course of action to contact the BC myself or raise the issue via my MCS certification body?

I've been told by several Building Control departments that installation of solar is fine as long as the structural engineer gives the go ahead but if the structural engineer requires strengthening then the work comes under building control. It's the structural work to the roof that needs the approval not the installation of the solar panels. So if the structural calcs come out ok - no need for Building Control - if it needs strengthening you'll need to get a Building notice.

This is not in line with what is stated in the item 20 of schedule 3 of the document posted by Worcester
Any building work which is necessary to ensure that any appliance, service or fitting which is installed and which is described in the preceding entries in column 1, complies with the applicable requirements contained in Schedule 1

As a member of a recognised certification body I am exempt from any requirement notify LBC and can self certify the work.

Last edited:
Sorry, not what I've been told - if the roof requires alterations of more than 15% (ie structural modification as identified by the structural engineer) then building control need to be notified. It's nothing to do with the electrical side which is covered by the competent persons scheme it's related to the structural integrity and subsequent alteration of the roof.

I think Worcester is referring to the installation that is deemed suitable by the structural engineer - that's why he's referring to the structural calcs, if they're ok, you're ok under CPC if they're not and need altering you need BC.

Happy to stand corrected ......

Having read the document Worcester referred to again I am certain that building work associated with a pv installation is certifiable by a member of a recognised body. MCS is not purely an electrical qualification and it does cover building regulations, as does part p.

I have not seen the 15% figure stated anywhere, please let me know where you have seen this.

Reply to Planning / Building Regs Article in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net