Discuss plasterer rewire kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thekingiam

a freind asked for some help with boiler problem today so had a look although i haven't done any work on boilers exept my own, anyways told him when he put new radiator on and drained system when turning back on without bleeding radiators probably damaged water pump.
looking around kitchen he plastered noticed new cu, downlights,cooker cable comming down from ceiling, asked him if he did it he tels me he did,asked him don't the customer want certificates he says either they don't know about needing them or usually they don't have planning permision for most of the work he does anyway.
how many other trades are under the radar doing this type of work with little or know knowledge? he told me that he might have the occasional job for me in the future but knowing him it will be problem solving stuff he has done wrong

Starting to get a tad frustrated with a family member through marriage.

I've sent them thousands of pounds worth of work and they keep sending me ****e back ie delete a socket from a circuit, move a couple of sockets, wire in a cooker. Once called me and explained he may need for an hour on a particular day to alter a circuit in a kitchen... Yep, just like that. At the drop of a hat I was expected to down tools and help them out!

Anyway, latest was remove 6 downlights and install two pendants in a KITCHEN (notifiable work by law). So I pop around discuss a few things with the client and go over the usual checks. Bonding present, cool. Fuse board, not so cool. Two circuits One lighting, one ring main & no RCD protection. Discuss the options of how to carry out the work so that it complies and leave it at that. Knew that I wouldn't get the job despite the homeowner apparently being a Barrister!!!!

Turns out that this particular family member through marriage had their labourer (who sometimes works for another spark) carry out the job. Probably cash, definitely no certs or notification.

That family member through marriage will no longer be getting any work from me.

It's just the way it is unfortunately but it is more annoying when it's people that you know taking the part pee out of you :thumbsup

a freind asked for some help with boiler problem today so had a look although i haven't done any work on boilers exept my own, anyways told him when he put new radiator on and drained system when turning back on without bleeding radiators probably damaged water pump.
looking around kitchen he plastered noticed new cu, downlights,cooker cable comming down from ceiling, asked him if he did it he tels me he did,asked him don't the customer want certificates he says either they don't know about needing them or usually they don't have planning permision for most of the work he does anyway.
how many other trades are under the radar doing this type of work with little or know knowledge? he told me that he might have the occasional job for me in the future but knowing him it will be problem solving stuff he has done wrong
I know that times are hard and work is difficult to come by but in your position I would walk away from this guy. If he s expecting you to put his bodges rght how long will it be before something goes seriously wrong and you end up getting caught in the fallout?
There's guys I know that pass work between each other and the unwriten rule is if someone is better qualified and able to carry out a particular task, get them.

Reply to plasterer rewire kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net