Discuss Plug sockets and ceiling lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kev63

Hi,

I've recently just bought a mid terrace house roughly built 1900 and the switches in the house seem bizarre. I've asked sellers why it's like this and they don't know the reason why it was setup this way. Everything is working fine however but after a few weeks now the switch system is starting to get annoying.

An example would be that for the ceiling lights switch to work (turn the ceiling light on and off) i have to make sure a fuse switch is turned on which is at ankle height on other side of room. Another example in the main bedroom the left side bedside lamp which plugs into a socket wont turn on unless the fuse switch, again close to the floor is turned on. It's really annoying in this case as the fuse switch is by the bedroom door, the other side of the room again. Makes the convienience of a bedside lamp redundant. It's strange in the sense that the left side lamp needs this but the right side works as you would expect and isn't affected.

I know I could just keep the fuse switches on at all times to get around this problem, but they emit an orange light and so I'm worried about power usage. I'm not sure if its safe to do this either as the fuse system must be in there for a reason. Does anyone know why the house is setup in this way and should i need to worry about anything?

and so I'm worried about power usage.

You've used more power turning on your laptop and asking the question, than the neon in the switch will use in it's lifetime.

If neons were a bad idea the E.U would have banned them years ago.

I'm not sure if its safe to do this either as the fuse system must be in there for a reason. Does anyone know why the house is setup in this way and should i need to worry about anything?

Perfectly safe, and only the original installer can say why at the time they did it this way, was either cheaper or easier.

it sounds like your bedroom lights are wired off the socket circuit via a spur. it's unconventional but it shouldn't be a problem as long as the fuse is rated properly.

likewise with the socket for your bedside lamp.

as snowhead pointed out, just leave the f.c.u.'s switched on. if you have a problem with the neon, get someone competent to swap them for units without.

Thanks for the replies.

Ceiling light in example was living room and bedside lamp in main bedroom. Nothing else affected in the rooms.

Also theirs 2 other bedrooms not affected but the dining room is.

There is no pattern to it all which is what has my mind boggled. Must be a case of cost / ease of the electrician who did it initially as it doesn't make sense logically.

At least i know i can leave them on and it will be safe. Thanks guys.

As already said, the lighting will have been taken off the RFC (socket circuit), and as such will need fusing down to 5 amps or less, hence the switched-fused connection units. You have 3 options at your disposal if the light annoys you....
1) Put some tape over the neon.
2) Get the SFCU's changed for non-neon types.
3) Get an electrician to disconnect the neons inside the units.

RFC?

I think leave fuse switch on and tape is way forward then.

Seems this is normal after all then - never came across a setup like this.

RFC, ring final circuit. used to be called ring main, wher both ends of the circuit connect into the supply in order to allow a highr loading.

Everything is working i should just be grateful i guess, ha.

Trying to understand all this is best left to the pros it seems.

My only advice is to pop the fuses out and check that they are 3 or 5 amp. There is a chance that someone has used 13 amp in the past, and the circuit would not then be protected adequately.
No, it's not the "norm", but it is acceptable and safe if done correctly. :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that a neon in a switch would cost you something like 8p for the whole year if left on constantly.

Last edited:

Reply to Plug sockets and ceiling lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net