Discuss Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Any ideas what might cause this? Again all other taps can reach very hot/boiling.
I assume without wasting too much money a good plumber could diagnose this in 5 minutes?
A good plumber could probably give you an answer in 15 minutes. It would be tempting to immediately blame the shower itself as it's the most logical explanation.
Personally I'd turn water off (assuming combi boiler this is enough, otherwise more care needed), open downstairs and upstairs taps to drain down (and allow air in to avoid a vacuum) and remove shower unit.
Then fit a 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm flexible hose to each side, and put a normal isolator on the 15mm end.
Then turn water on again, and try the hot side as a simple tap.
If it gets as hot as the other taps, it's the shower. If it doesn't there's a curious problem that needs further investigation.

Thanks for the response.
The shower is brand new the previous one was worse. I have the manual. I was thinking take it apart adjust the valve/callibrate so in theory would allow maximum hot water, if after this its still lukewarm its not the shower the fault lies elsewhere

Last edited:
A good plumber could probably give you an answer in 15 minutes. It would be tempting to immediately blame the shower itself as it's the most logical explanation.
Personally I'd turn water off (assuming combi boiler this is enough, otherwise more care needed), open downstairs and upstairs taps to drain down (and allow air in to avoid a vacuum) and remove shower unit.
Then fit a 1/2 inch BSP to 15mm flexible hose to each side, and put a normal isolator on the 15mm end.
Then turn water on again, and try the hot side as a simple tap.
If it gets as hot as the other taps, it's the shower. If it doesn't there's a curious problem that needs further investigation.
I just tried to take this in. Now I know nothing about plumbing but I assume a good plumber could do this in half an hour and rule out the shower? I could also check the pressure doing this?

I just tried to take this in. Now I know nothing about plumbing but I assume a good plumber could do this in half an hour and rule out the shower? I could also check the pressure doing this?
A good plumber might have an even better idea, but from a logical stance checking the hot feed to the shower is the aim and that's one way it occurred to me to do it. Depending on the details of the plumbing and the presence of compression fittings or john guest push-fit fittings there may be even easier ways.
I'd go on your local Facebook free/swap group and ask for a recommendation of a good local plumber who can help diagnose a problem with a mixer shower.

lets use the example its a "IBOX" Mixer (Bloody fantastic and good value ) . Many fitters dont bother setting the mixer up correctly and tell customers "showers are not legally as hot as they use to be " etc etc . Even the Override setting button is worthless if the mixer itself has been set too low . Many mixers instructions clearly show exactly how to install and test using a Digital temp gauge etc .5 mins work and many cannot be bothered ..

Reply to Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net