Discuss pop riveting good or bad? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Like any standard manufactured joint you fit a bonding strap if required for earth continuity like when relying on the trunking as a sole means of earth for a circuit.

Saw it the other day. I've always bolted with continuity links but it did look tidy. I think fault current would possibly blow the rivets and that in time continuity would become a issue. Anyone feel that if they were doing a EICR they'd fail it?

Yet again we hear speculation & conjecture in here...
Does anyone actually read what others gave put...
Do what Darkwood has said...which is to fit a strap across the 2 joining sections.....
Oh, and before anyone starts on about pop rivets being weak....then you just try seperating a pop rivetted joint by hand...
furthermore, pop rivets have no sharp edges inside...

furthermore, pop rivets have no sharp edges inside...

neither does duct tape. :24:

When we did trunking in college we only used pop rivets and there was no mention of bonding strips, etc.

Last edited:
I would have thought that fault current wouldn't really be too much of an issue as it's the trunking itself that would carry, not the rivet? I mean, there's always some overlap.

i dont understand the shock horror response of the method discussed ?

ok , so its not done very often but thats down to nothing more than tradition rather than any particular engineering flaws.
rivet joints are a very neat , secure and unobtrusive means of joining metalwork in my mind and i certainly wouldnt record it in any inspection if it was mechanically sound.

Nothing against pop rivets in the construction of trunking or tray work providing they are of a decent size and fitted correctly. Think i'd be using nut and bolts on traywork that was carrying hefty weights of SWA cables and the like though!! Like so many other things, it comes down to using a bit of commonsense at the end of the day!!

Yep,rivets of correct type,done right,no probs.Your holiday plane manages to stay together with em'......now the titanic,that's a different story...

Pop rivets are used extensively in the manufacture of Flight Cases and by God they take some stick day in, day out, year in, year out without any problems.

Just saying .. ;)

Yep,rivets of correct type,done right,no probs.Your holiday plane manages to stay together with em'......now the titanic,that's a different story...
no...
its glued together
a lot of aircraft during the very early years of aviation were also glued together...with rabbit skin size glue..!!
but it worked ....and worked well.....
what you did was heat up the glue over a little furnace....then spread it on (to one surface only)....then as soon as it started to tac you clamped the 2 sections together...
modern replicas of WW1 aircraft use 2 part epoxys (such as the west systems)...
but you will find such manufactureres as Boeing and Airbusindustries using 2 part adhesives to construct their airframes....

Reply to pop riveting good or bad? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net