Discuss Pricing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave Appleby

-
Arms
Reaction score
Usual an I too high question.

Before I say what I quoted....

Pricing please to change 140 flat panel ceiling lights for led.

Panals supplied but nothing else. No switching or zone changes. Apparently no other trades in

Full small supermarket but closed for change of ownership.

36 hours available for job including overnight.

Over to you.

Thanks
Dave

An interesting one. One contractor in 36 hours, that would be 4 units an hour straight through, not going to happen and unsafe!

I think I'd be pricing based on 3 people, 3 units each per hour, working 15.5 of the 36 hours each obviously with breaks.
That way if and when more units/hour are achieved it's a bonus.
So about 46 man-hours whether 2 or 3 people. Not sure what going local hourly rate is.

I'll get things going and take a punt at £2000 for labour alone based on £40/hour. That wouldn't include waste moving or removal at all, any re-termination fittings/ joint boxes, whether 3 x wheeled scaffold towers are needed, and whether current zone sizing is ok for in-rush current.

Let's see what others say - I'm often told I'm way too cheap!

£600 would be below min wage , I don't see how any vetted insured contractor could do this job for less than 2 grand and that would be if you were absolutely desperate for the work

Im manic the past few weeks and barely get 5 minutes to even take a breather , some jobs I'm quoting at nearly £500 for a half days job and still people biting my hand off

Usual an I too high question.

Before I say what I quoted....

Pricing please to change 140 flat panel ceiling lights for led.

Panals supplied but nothing else. No switching or zone changes. Apparently no other trades in

Full small supermarket but closed for change of ownership.

36 hours available for job including overnight.

Over to you.

Thanks
Dave

Really need to know what Consumables will be needed, JBs, Cklik Flow plugs, flex etc..

Are the current fittings hard wired or on plugs?

Whats the state of the existing wiring, is it all secure or slung across the tiles?

How many are emergency fittings and how are you intending to convert.

Once you get into a flow you can easily do 15-20 an hour, depending on how they are currently wired.

This requires four people.

One removing the old fittings, one putting plugs on existing wiring, one putting the plug on the fitting and one fitting the new panel.

It's full on and relies on unrestricted access. If your having to move things to get to the fittings the time disappears.

So, based on a snag free install I be looking at 80 man hours, however you charge that (£30/hour?)+ Consumables, say £5 a fitting, about £3,100 + VAT.

Could double that if it's a pig though.

I simply can not see how anyone could do this £600

As above my price would be £3500 and for this I would be a neat and tidy job

I could see someone doing it for 3 grand and still being happy and making some good profit if it all goes smoothly

But 2 grand is really far too cheap imo , allows no time for problems , call backs etc

The 600 quid jokers are making a mockery of the trade im afraid

140 fixtures for £600, thats £4.29 a fitting, and thats only if there are no consumables needed.. At £35 per hour you would need to do them in about 7mins per fitting.

Its either gunna be a rough job or someone is trying to get their foot in the door or really desperate. Obviously whoever quoted that has never done large jobs, just moving the light fittings, unboxing them moving waste etc all takes time.. I mean potentially you could be looking at about 20mins per light fitting so based on £40 per hour to take into consideration any consumables your looking at best part of £2k and thats with no VAT.

i done some in 4 Spar Stores. all straightforward, between 2 and 30 panels per store. I charged £20 per panel and end of the the day, was too cheap. should have been £30 each. so on that basis, OP's job for 140 comes out at £4200. but on a bigger job, this could be shaved a bit, so £3500 is about right. Customer to dispose of the scrap.

i done some in 4 Spar Stores. all straightforward, between 2 and 30 panels per store. I charged £20 per panel and end of the the day, was too cheap. should have been £30 each. so on that basis, OP's job for 140 comes out at £4200. but on a bigger job, this could be shaved a bit, so £3500 is about right. Customer to dispose of the scrap.

We have all been there Tel and well under estimated a job. I did a load of panel light swaps a while ago and like you I quoted over the phone £20 per light labour only (I did this over the phone rookie mistake). The job was a pig of a job, I had to move loads of carp to get to the light switches, some of the ceiling was knackered so the lights were a pig to replace.
All in all I should have estimated £45 per light.

Funny how we only regret the jobs we underprice , we never regret the ones we over price

I have just quoted for a job doing similar - replacing 130 or so lights and my quote was for supply of good quality colour changing led panels, fittings, waste disposal, skip hire and and labour. all in it came in at nearly 7K....
client currently asking me what my availability is so they haven't run a mile from the headline price... as i broke it down by saying x lights over y days is approx z minutes per light which is reflected in the labour cost and days required.
If somebody is offering to do it for 600 quid then its either something to keep the workers busy as there is no other work ,better to be making a small loss and cover some of the wages and bills than have no income coming in mentality or its unqualified labourers cash in hand work.

I have just quoted for a job doing similar - replacing 130 or so lights and my quote was for supply of good quality colour changing led panels, fittings, waste disposal, skip hire and and labour. all in it came in at nearly 7K....
client currently asking me what my availability is so they haven't run a mile from the headline price... as i broke it down by saying x lights over y days is approx z minutes per light which is reflected in the labour cost and days required.
If somebody is offering to do it for 600 quid then its either something to keep the workers busy as there is no other work ,better to be making a small loss and cover some of the wages and bills than have no income coming in mentality or its unqualified labourers cash in hand work.
I suspect the latter

Reply to Pricing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net