Discuss Promotion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob the sparky

Hi all,

I posted a thread up on the website about 3 months ago(thread is called qualifications and wages), it was about my wages being really low for what i can basically do as an electrician. i just thought i would update the situation.
5 weeks ago the managing director told me that the director was retiring and he would be becoming the director, and how would i like to be the manager of the company, roles include organising all jobs that come into the firm, making sure the 20 lads that we have working for us are sorted out with jobs on a day to day basis and going out to quote for jobs. I also received a pay rise to accompany the promotion. although it still is rather low.but thats another story.
i just wanted to let people know that if you are on a low wage then it doesnt matter, if your boss thinks you are worth it then you will gain the wages you require.i know it sounds like im blowing my own trumpet nut i think i have waited along time to get noticed where i work and finally it has happened.

Congratulations mate.
It pays to work hard and give 100% even if you dont always get rewarded financially for it.
The role you have undertaken will be a great learning experience and will sit well on your CV.
If later on you feel the money is naff then you can always re-negotiate or even put your new CV out.

Yes fair play to you for sticking it out on a low wage, but don't get stuck in a rut on low wages, gain the experience and then tackle the boss, if you are that good he should recognise what an organised foreman can do and can save his own wages if he is that good, so a payrise shouldn't be a problem. That said if he dont wanta play and take his chances on promoting someone to take your place then I am sure there are plenty of larger electrical companies that need people to save them money but its persuading them you are the man for them.

Good luck

Reply to Promotion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net