Discuss Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But there is a lot of quite hard steel in that cable, In my book that's damn strong stuff and hard to stretch, but I appreciate your answer. So (..just say) the cable stretched by a fraction of a percent, - given the margins of safety, (for example 120% for current handling built into the most common interpretations of BS7671), would that be a problem?

Oh yes the conduit is it's that "thin stuff" Engineer 54!

One other thing I didn't mention. Customer slung MDPE water pipe in the same trench!

What would 528.3 conclude about that? - Since the cable will be down there in 100% humidity anyhow, maybe not a practical problem, but that type of argument could apply to any situation where you'd apply 528.3 so is probably unsound..

Not exactly an ideal situation, but shouldn't be of that much concern if this a smallish water pipe and isn't under too much pressure. Here the main concern is physical damage to the cable, caused by pressure movement of the water pipe after a rupture/burst at say a coupling, or a thrust block failure etc,etc.

If a couple of labours can get enough purchase on a bit of rope to stretch that piece of armoured I will eat my hat !!! I am not talking about yanking the hell out of it , and assume a modicum of sense is being applied to the pull and the cable is correctly secured , having said that .

i would say the water pipe is a major problem as ur draw rope was prob pulled in with the pipe its more than likely wrapped round the pipe throughout the ducting if it is u will have no chance of pulling the swa thru

i would say the water pipe is a major problem as ur draw rope was prob pulled in with the pipe its more than likely wrapped round the pipe throughout the ducting if it is u will have no chance of pulling the swa thru

Same trench, not same ducting. Edit: At least that's what I assumed. Perhaps not. Daz

Last edited:
Since the cable will be down there in 100% humidity anyhow, maybe not a practical problem...

OK, since water's been mentioned, if the ducting is lying at low level or the ends are upturned and not capped, there's a fair chance of some water in the duct. This leads me to ask whether anyone's tried deliberately filing a duct with water before pulling a cable through. It would provide some lubrication (although not as good as a proper lubricant) and, maybe more importantly, it would reduce the effective weight of the cable. Any thoughts?

OK, since water's been mentioned, if the ducting is lying at low level or the ends are upturned and not capped, there's a fair chance of some water in the duct. This leads me to ask whether anyone's tried deliberately filing a duct with water before pulling a cable through. It would provide some lubrication (although not as good as a proper lubricant) and, maybe more importantly, it would reduce the effective weight of the cable. Any thoughts?

sounds a bit wet to me.

not read the whole thread , understandably at 5 pages long , but i'd want an access point left dug open every 20-30 mtrs.
trying 150mts in a single pull would be insane.

If a couple of labours can get enough purchase on a bit of rope to stretch that piece of armoured I will eat my hat !!! I am not talking about yanking the hell out of it , and assume a modicum of sense is being applied to the pull and the cable is correctly secured , having said that .

Unroll 150m of 16mm 3 core on a carpark, get hold of one end and pull like hell, feel the give and back lash in the cable, that's with only one person try then a couple. It's easily possible to destroy the cable in this situation.

Unroll 150m of 16mm 3 core on a carpark, get hold of one end and pull like hell, feel the give and back lash in the cable, that's with only one person try then a couple. It's easily possible to destroy the cable in this situation.

I must be getting cable from a different source to others then because I can honestly say that I have never seen a cable of that size " give " apart from when it is on the end of digger while being ripped out again for salvage ?

Don't get me wrong , I agree it is easy enough to stretch the sheath on even the largest of cables , but I just can not see how a couple of men sensibly pulling with the correct gear , can ever manage it .

Reply to Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net