Discuss Questions on Emergency Lighting Installations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pc070772

Hi
I am looking for some guidance on emergency lighting installations.

This is a bit long winded but I will try and give as full a picture as I can.

My wife has recently taken on a large building to open as a preschool for birth to 5 year old children including an after-school club till 7 pm at night.

This building had been empty for 10 years and required extensive works to be carried out as over the years electrical wiring and plumbing had been stripped out by thieves for a quick buck.

The landlord appointed and electrical contractor to rewire all small circuits where required, install new fire alarms, commission and test when finished as is the norm.

In preparation for the fire officer's visit soon I went in to check intumiscent fire door strips where installed, emergency lighting worked correctly etc

I discovered that the emergency lighting on all 3 dist boards was wired into its own circuit and there was nowhere near enough emergency lighting anyway. The emergency lighting has had a key switch installed right next to the dis-board for testing purposes.

The Emergency lighting used is all 30 min Non-maintained, so as you can imagine, in the event of a local circuit failure they will be in darkness at certain times of the year.

It is worth also pointing out that 3 of the 4 distribution boards had to be changed due to age and non compliance.

In an attempt to find out why this has been done I asked my wife for the test sheets and emergency lighting certificate, and guess what... no test certificate!

I then asked out of curiosity if the emergency lights had been installed in new locations or if they had just replaced existing but unfortunately she didn't know the answer.

I am sure this installation is non compliant, to make it compliant these emergency lights MUST be fitted into the local final circuit, and I believe a test certificate should be issued too, and I believe there is grounds to make the contractors redo this work so that it does comply, but given this may be a part install or 'replace existing', could this give them any grounds to install in this way???

Thanks peeps

Here is an example from Bs 5266-1
Non residential premises
In general persons using this class of premises will be reasonably familiar with the layout and safety provisions and orderly evacuation
There will not normally be any safety requirement after an emergency and the minimum duration of escape lighting should therefore be adequate
It is recomended blah blah.... 1 Hour duration may be used

The point I am trying to make,there are many varied situations and many varied requirements to suit individual use of buildings and not one size fits
your points about the supply can also be exampled as just one way od doing what is needed or required
You need someone who ius familliar with the Installation Bs who can visit and advise the particular requirements suitable for the use you intend
The previous occupants installers or whoever may have had completely different agendas

I have never seen a 30 min emg light. The install is non compliant. A place such as that has people that are not familiar with the layout. Its possible the spec asked for one master test switch, but this is not the way to do it.

I have never seen a 30 min emg light. The install is non compliant. A place such as that has people that are not familiar with the layout. Its possible the spec asked for one master test switch, but this is not the way to do it.

I quoted the above in order for the op to be made aware that each situation and each premises have individual needs to comply with the standard

My view is that the people using the establishment should be aware of the escape route and if not,should be made aware and that minimum requirement would then be permissable(perhaps)

My earlier post was taken from the section that also specifies a non residential teaching building.other sections also make example of special schools etc,where requirements may differ,he really needs an inspection before making any conclusions or changes so that firstly his needs can be identified then acted upon

If I was you I would ask the LABC to inspect the install to see if it is fit for purpose, after reading your op and reading through em lighting design software I'd say it is'nt.

I've just read your post again

"In preparation for the fire officer's visit soon....."

Tell the Fire Officer to bring an extra pen with him for all the notes he will be taking lol.

Reply to Questions on Emergency Lighting Installations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net