Discuss Quick Thermostat Question in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is very simple for an electrician, but also very easy for someone with no experience to either end up with heating which doesn't work at all, or just wont switch off.

If it is possible to install the receiver next to the prgrammer then it should be a matter of an hours labour and a foot of cable, not a huge price to pay for a working heating system.

It may come as a surprise to you, but I agree with you that programmable room stats can be a nightmare to set. I had two of them in one of my houses - one for the front half & one for the back half (don't ask!!) and it took a while to get them sussed but once I did the whole system worked like a dream.

I have one in the house I have now and it's fine and not too hard to set up but that's maybe because I served my apprenticeship on the last one!!!

Not surprised at all, you seem like a terribly sensible chap, great minds often think alike and of course comrades from 'the radio 3 of forums' should stick together ;)

I guess my issue is not so much with the stats themselves as with the idiots who install them for people who don't want or understand them.
In the last week I have removed them from 2 houses, one where the poor people were still turning the heating on and off at the programmer (disconnected CH channel) and wondering why it didn't respond. Second one they had left the programmer connected, and the old roomstat on the wall but disconnected, they were setting times on the programmable stat then turning the disconnected stat up and down.

Both times I explained to them what these stats were all about and how they work and they both asked if they can have a normal stat and programmer combo, obviously I said yes and fitted what they wanted.

the terminal you dont know on the honeywell is the switched live.

Put honeywell no. 1 (red ) into the live of the Salus and link to com
Put honeywell no.2(blue) to N (neutral) on salus
Put honeywell no.3 (yellow) into NO (normally Open) on the salus

Then put the central heating part of your programmer onto constant if your salus is a programmable thermostat.

Hope this helps

What a bodge!

Why ?
The chap asked a a specific question that has been answered.
I could have gone on to say to take the cable it of terminal 4 if the programmer and make it a permanent live and also change the clock to a single channel, but that's not what he asked for.
If the only thing you cab say it's to criticise then please, say nothing.
If this is representative of the way people's input is considered then maybe it's best not to post at all .
Thought this was a place to share knowledge and experience
Rant over

It's a bodge because you end up with no time control of the heating and a wireless stat receiver in the hallway looking ugly.

If you had read the thread properly you will see that the unit is a thermostat and that the existing time control is a timeswitch, not a programmer.

You suggest making the cable currently connected to terminal 4 of the timeswitch a permanent live and changing the timeswitch to a single channel unit (which he has already told us it is), this won't achieve anything as there will not be a wire connected to terminal 4.

I criticised because your advice is unsound and not coherent with the information the OP has given.

Yes this is a place to share knowledge, but you have not shared knowledge, just handed out inappropriate advice.

Reply to Quick Thermostat Question in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net