Discuss Quote for PV install in North Devon. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Scooby

Hi again!

Following on from my 'Effects of Shading' thread, I've pretty much decided to just go for it, keeping things as a basic array with single inverter. Anyone serving the area interested in quoting? I'm considering a 12 to 16 panel array feeding a single inverter to keep costs down.

I appreciate that a site visit is the way to go before a fixed quote can be given, but here's an outline for anyone who may be interested at this stage:

Postcode: EX39 North Devon. Roof is at a 39o pitch & exactly south-facing.

Roof area is 8m eave-to-eave x 4.15m from bottom of ridge tile to lowest tile edge. This includes a ~ 500mm overhang at each end, so the actual usable 'panel' area is likely to be around 6.5m x 3.5m ish.

The roof is on a recently-built detached garage with real slate tiles. Although detached, the power is fed from the nearby house (7m) by underground SWA which every potential installer has pronounced 'fine' (I think it's 4mm2). There is a 2-way CU in the garage (which I appreciate will have to be expanded) and the supply is fed from its own 20A MCB in the house's CU. So, no leccy cable required, and inverter will also be mounted in the garage.

1pm.jpg

As you can hopefully see from the photo, there is a stone wall running alongside the garage with a hedge on top. On the garage side there is room to walk along the top of this wall and a couple of 'installers' said they'd run roof ladders up from there and not bother with scaffolding - but that's obviously an individual decision to be made by each person.

There is a potential problem with shading from the telegraph pole you can see on the left hand side. This does - as you can see in the photo - cast a full-height shadow over the roof from about 1.30 pm onwards over 3 winter months. For around 3-4 months over summer, the shadow doesn't reach the roof at all; in the in between months, it falls over varying heights. So, should anyone wish to suggest, perhaps, a second inverter to keep the rows separate, or a 'duo'-inverter or anything else for that matter which could help with my potential shading problem, I'd certainly be interested, although my thoughts are to keep the system as simple as possible.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to say 'thank you' to those who replied (no, I'm not being sarcy - they were pm'd!).

I will be going with a 'respected member' on this forum.

Hi again!Following on from my 'Effects of Shading' thread, I've pretty much decided to just go for it, keeping things as a basic array with single inverter. Anyone serving the area interested in quoting? I'm considering a 12 to 16 panel array feeding a single inverter to keep costs down.I appreciate that a site visit is the way to go before a fixed quote can be given, but here's an outline for anyone who may be interested at this stage:postcode: EX39 North Devon. Roof is at a 39o pitch & exactly south-facing. Roof area is 8m eave-to-eave x 4.15m from bottom of ridge tile to lowest tile edge. This includes a ~ 500mm overhang at each end, so the actual usable 'panel' area is likely to be around 6.5m x 3.5m ish. The roof is on a recently-built detached garage with real slate tiles. Although detached, the power is fed from the nearby house (7m) by underground SWA which every potential installer has pronounced 'fine' (I think it's 4mm2). There is a 2-way CU in the garage (which I appreciate will have to be expanded) and the supply is fed from its own 20A MCB in the house's CU. So, no leccy cable required, and inverter will also be mounted in the garage.View attachment 7641As you can hopefully see from the photo, there is a stone wall running alongside the garage with a hedge on top. On the garage side there is room to walk along the top of this wall and a couple of 'installers' said they'd run roof ladders up from there and not bother with scaffolding - but that's obviously an individual decision to be made by each person.There is a potential problem with shading from the telegraph pole you can see on the left hand side. This does - as you can see in the photo - cast a full-height shadow over the roof from about 1.30 pm onwards over 3 winter months. For around 3-4 months over summer, the shadow doesn't reach the roof at all; in the in between months, it falls over varying heights. So, should anyone wish to suggest, perhaps, a second inverter to keep the rows separate, or a 'duo'-inverter or anything else for that matter which could help with my potential shading problem, I'd certainly be interested, although my thoughts are to keep the system as simple as possible.Thanks for your interest.
My name is Darren Towill self employed PV installer and electrician based in EX39 in Eastliegh.
You have a few options I would be happy to discuss, such as micro inverters.
I do not hard sell and have good references and other contracts you could visit etc for your peace of mind.
MCS and NAPIT registered.
I would be more than happy to assist you with your choice of system. I have open book policy and will show all systems available and best option for your roof.
If I can help please contact me on
[email protected]

Best regards

Darren Towill

Hi Darren.

Yes, fait-accompli, I'm afraid - I would have been pleased to have had you quote for the job had it still been available.

As said above, it's coming up to two years since it was installed - a 50:50 split array with an Aurora dual inverter. It is way more than exceeding expectations, having returned a FIT of ÂŁ1500 in the first year. It's doing what we hoped - comfortably covering our fuel bills.

donnie1.jpg

Yes, the 'system is performing nicely', and he should know... :)

(Thoroughly delighted by every aspect of the process.)

Reply to Quote for PV install in North Devon. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net