Discuss Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As a noob i dont even know the words, so i´ll have to explain...

I´ve got a new bit of land with 3 buildings. The mains and meter are by the entrance gate. I´d like to put a box next to the meter that simply has 3 switches, so i can turn off completely each building in turn.

(each building will have its own distrubution boxes and tripswitches, etc. all to code). Its just all such a mess...

Any advise or tips.

yep ,
you need a spark to sort that out, he will have to go a long way to the job, considering it on the moon!
Yes buzz was going to add it's going to be one big cable to feed that lot, think of the Volt drop, still you wont need an RCD because the install method will be in free air, think the main problem will be what about bonding, no Gas or water on the Lunar surface yet, is there? wonder what sort of mooning they wil use, LL, LNCS, LNC or PMM.

wonder what Ra value you might obtain with a 5ft rod in cheese.

For anyone thats interested, it seems the words needed are "non-fusible electrical disconnects". this gives search results for switch-in-a-box.

The electricity meter has a fuse (so dont need to pay lots more for fused switches - up to you of course). Plus it can be disconnected - Allowing safe installation of the 3 required switches.

So if i install 3 "disconnects" i can continue tracking, testing, and upgrading everything, one step at a time.

oh i just realized this is "electricians" forum, not electrical-stuff forum. Now i understand the replies and tone. My apologies. i will move on...
Hi JR - you will need to know the power required in each building (approx) so the correct equipment can be selected. Single phase or three phase and maximum demand. Do you know the earthing system on the site?

YES you can do it,
But they will be big switch's.
But yes you can do it.
We need to know heaps more to be more specific.
Different area's have different codes.
Not recommended for DIY'ers
We are talking serious amounts of power here
Best done by a trained electrician

230V single phase. (max 180A).
Not in US, but most of internet is US English, so thats why "disconnects". And the reason why i´m here asking what the gizmos and widgets are called!!
The trained electricians around here are ... well below my/any standard, and im a noob! Maybe they are self taught without internet or books. I watched one electrocute himself while talking. Another suggested a 2000money cost for a 150money job. Hence more information.

Interesting about the suppliers fuse. So fused switches are advisable - even though each building will have a distribution box...?

As above, more information would be needed to design this system. Distances, earthing systems, supply type, desigb currents etc as a bare minimum.

IMO it's not a DIY job. Loads more information is required to give an idea of cost etc. The '2000money' might ACTUALLY be a good quote. Where you get this '150money' from I have no idea, but £150.00 is very likely wide of the mark by a long long long way.

230V single phase. (max 180A).
Not in US, but most of internet is US English, so thats why "disconnects". And the reason why i´m here asking what the gizmos and widgets are called!!
The trained electricians around here are ... well below my/any standard, and im a noob! Maybe they are self taught without internet or books. I watched one electrocute himself while talking. Another suggested a 2000money cost for a 150money job. Hence more information.

Interesting about the suppliers fuse. So fused switches are advisable - even though each building will have a distribution box...?

Is the 180A what you need or what's available?

You need to look at equipment (and preferably use terms) that's actually available in the UK, not the US.

If you said where you are, you might find someone on here who could take a look.

Yes, you will need circuit protection that's appropriate for each distribution circuit, not the supplier's fuse.

As a noob i dont even know the words, so i´ll have to explain.

You then describe a job which is (believe me) way beyond what you seem to think is a straight forward task

A noob doing simple electrical work will often get into difficulty, and also often,unknown to them,dangerous work

This is work where you should initially seek design advice,then get prices off electricians to carry out the installation
The prices will give you a idea of cost which at the moment is any figure plucked out of the air by yourself

So the contract states 3kW, whereas my (typical) townhouse has 5.75kW. Im going to up the supply to 5ish kW for the 3buildings.

One will be a (simple) workshop, another just needs lights, the third may turn into a home in the far future. From what i´ve read the house best have a 30A, the shed only needs a 20A, and the outhouse only a 10A.
Should i bother with fused disconnects, or just splice all 3 buildings to the meter...

(please stop suggesting a local sparky - as i have mentioned the local sparkys are not inspire trust. They insist on a 2 wire system, whereas i want a proper third earth. Its the back of beyond and i cant be more specific. Shouldnt matter to the experts)

Thanks for the advise. (and videos from the unemployed and unemployable).

So it seems some "Henley Blocks" splitting the "tails" from the meter to individual "CU"s will be all thats needed. So glad i didnt spend a fortune on a sparky for that !!
However, as i dont yet have 3 CUs installed, i´d still like to have 3 disconnects in a main panel.
If anyone cares to continue this discussion sensibly i´d like to hear advise on the types of main panels vs subpanels, etc.

You obviously are just going to do what you want regardless. Sorry to sound abrupt, but you need an electrician to design and install this.

And your attitude seems a bit ropey. In my opinion anyway. Sorry.

Not knowing where you are and the additional information that has been requested by members, providing accurate (and most importantly safe) advice is difficult at best, but in most cases is near impossible. Particularly with larger under takings, which this most definitely is.

Your statement that other electricians have suggested a two wire system as you've put it and you're not happy with that suggests to me, you're not interested in listening to the professionals. You've got a fixed idea in your head that you're not willing to move from. There may be very good reasons they made the suggestions and I'm guessing, they've seen the site and know some of the answers to questions that have been asked by the professionals here (like the type of earthing system present at the supply).

I also suspect the reason you believe they aren't to be trusted is because you think their prices are too high because they are clearly trying to rip you off. In reality if you received multiple quotes for roughly the same amount for the same job, it's likely your expectations need adjustment. If your '150money' view is for this job, £150 would get you a little over half a day of my time. This is a much bigger job than that.

As for your neighbour having a particular setup... that does not mean his is correct and safe! Don't for one second think that just having RCDs will keep you safe. There are situations they offer less protection than a fuse.

To be blunt, you obviously have not taken in what has been said so far. If (as you claim) you are a noob, and consequently considered unskilled, this is beyond your capabilities, PERIOD! You should engage the services of a qualified electrician for this, failure to do so could result in injury or death, plain and simple.

Large sums of money are involved because we are dealing with large amounts of electrical power here. High powered Electrical equipment and cables are expensive, remember we are dealing amps in the hundreds not tens! big switch's, big blocks, big cables are all expensive. not to mention good design is critical as the risk of danger is very real, and once you touch it, your risk being legally liable for it should something happen.

(so dont need to pay lots more for fused switches - up to you of course). Plus it can be disconnected - Allowing safe installation of the 3 required switches.
Are you asking or telling me?
So you have at present a 180A single phase supply are you going to want to meter these three supplies?The shed I take it is just for storage and as said just needs light(s) The house I would allow 100A supply The workshop are you intending to hire/rent this out as you will need to evaluate the loads that may be required. You will need a main switch then yes you could split after that via henley blocks but will still need switch fuses for each of the supplies. what you have to take account of is that the longer the distance these supplies are from the entrance intake the larger the cable will need to be and this would meen you have to buy a larger switched fuse to physically terminate these cables. A bit of advice on the forum choose your words more carefully as you are asking members advice but telling them they wrong as it is the answer that does not fit in with what you wanted to be told.

Reply to Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net