Discuss Reliable Stud/cable detector in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oldstudent

Can anyone recommend an accurate detector for hidden cables pipes studs etc. I drilled into a narrow bore central heating pipe plastered into a wall the other day while putting up a plasma tv bracket.
No radiator in immediate vicinity.

I need to be more careful.

Thanks

plumbers have got wise to the fact that we use metal detectors to locate their hidden pipework, so they have started using plastic now to ensure that we have no way of finding them until we put a drill through them.

Thats exactly what I suspected amp David.

Just hoped that someone out there has discovered a wonder product that does what it says on the tin.

Cheers

Last one I had was the Bosch one, not the cheapo version but the blue pro version and still cant get it to work:mad:

I bought one of those couple weeks ago for my lads after he cut switch line in half with his saw, the wire wasn't in a zone but wrapped around the stud work, I thought it worked quite well when I tested it.

Have you put batteries in it David..;)

got the bosch one myself. find it better than the cheapo ones i had before. as said though none are that good. nifty thing i saw the other day was put heater on behind wall you are interested in and viwe the wall from the other side with a thermal imaging camera, the different materials will show as different temperatures on the surface, it was beig used to determine if a wall was a supporting wall or not.

I bought one of those couple weeks ago for my lads after he cut switch line in half with his saw, the wire wasn't in a zone but wrapped around the stud work, I thought it worked quite well when I tested it.

Have you put batteries in it David..;)

Damn thats whats wrong!

On stud walls it just seems to randomly beep whether theres a stud or not. Don't think the instructions are too cleat TBH

i always find pipes and cables with either my drill or chase cutter. they always manage to find the only place in the wall where something is buried, very reriable!

There's your answer then - just get telectrix or ezzzekiel round and ask them to drill a hole. Watch where they aim for then stop them. Drill anywhere else and you'll be fine. :D

There's your answer then - just get telectrix or ezzzekiel round and ask them to drill a hole. Watch where they aim for then stop them. Drill anywhere else and you'll be fine. :D

for a packet of smokes and a couple of pints, i'll show em where not to drill. i usually find that anywhere that's not above the floor and not below the roof is a safe place. perhaps we can have this incorporated into the building regs, same as where not to drill joists

Last edited:
I've been considering getting a multi-scanner for some time now.. And this thread is the only area on the forum I can find where any recommendations can be pooled.
Are most members out there not using such detectors??

I just want one in my kit for those times when I'm uncertain of 'what lies beneath' and can't afford the risk. So it has to be reliable!!
I had high hopes when checking out the Bosch PDO Multi Digital Detector but sifting through reviews it became apparent that the LED indicator ring was a distraction and overall it was over-sensitive to electric fields..
So maybe the recently introduced GMS 120 Professional Multi Material Cable Detector from Bosch which replaces their DMF 10 Zoom Metal/ Cable Detector?? This is not giving repeatable results to users either..

Ah, but Zircon... Everyone seems to like what they have and the i700 multiscanner is the one which stands out. Has a really practical 5 min demonstration on YouTube. Best price I found was £64 so my order is now in! I'm hoping its de-risking of some jobs will soon pay for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, but Zircon... Everyone seems to like what they have and the i700 multiscanner is the one which stands out. Has a really practical 5 min demonstration on YouTube. Best price I found was £64 so my order is now in! I'm hoping its de-risking of some jobs will soon pay for it!

have you used this yet?was thinking about getting one but couldnt find any decent reviews on it (apart from its own lovely presentation video) could you let me know asap please as i wanted to order one next week if its any good
thanks

Reply to Reliable Stud/cable detector in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net