Discuss Replacing two 3-way switches, one too many wires. What do i do? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

sjsperry

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to replace two 3- way switches but there are one too many wires. Can you help?

Each has a red and black wire which I've connected to the bronze screws (as they were before).

There's also a black wire that connects the black(common) screws on both switches.

But then there's an additional black wire that was also connected to the black(common) screw of the left switch. It was in the hole while the other one was wrapped around the screw.

The new switch doesn't have a hole to fit that wire so there's nowhere for it to go. Can only connect one black wire to the black screw on the switch on the left.

What should I do?

Attachments

• 20220324_171341.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220324_171438.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 9
Your new switch doesn't have the stab in connection so pig tail them together with just one wire to the switch.

Reply to Replacing two 3-way switches, one too many wires. What do i do? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views
Trying to install a Lutron Toggle/Dimmer (TGCL-153PR) Confused, as the current switch has 3 wires gong to it Black, White, and Red (there is also...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I bought one of those smart switches, specifically the Kasa 3 way kit (HS210 KIT). But when I opened my 3 way dumb switches I see...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock