Discuss Repositioning meters for new conversion of shops into flats in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

brixtonia

-
DIY
Reaction score
I am converting 2 small old shops with living quarters above into 3 flats but have come up against a bit of a problem in relation to the relocation of the electric head.

The building is currently 2 shops each with flats above. Each has its own supply. Permission has been granted for conversion into three flats. The supplies cannot stay where they are and I would normally relocate the supplies to a purpose built cupboard in the ground floor communal areas so that all leaseholders or tenants have access to them but they are not accessible from the street. EDF has apparently advised the contractor that the new meters have to be accessible from outside the property. Unfortunately, the front door opens straight onto the pavement so there is no front garden area. The street frontage is almost entirely shop glazing and has to be maintained as such. The only walls are structural columns between the windows and dwarf walls beneath them. The dwarf walls will house the gas meters but are too low for electric (only 700mm).

Is it an new rule that meters cannot be placed in the ground floor communal areas without general public access? If so, is EDF able to make exceptions where this is not possible?

Thanks.

too much to read, try and come to the point quicker.

I appreciate that you must be very busy. Just for you:
"Is it an new rule that meters cannot be placed in the ground floor communal areas without general public access? If so, is EDF able to make exceptions where this is not possible?"

Not too much to read mate - in fact pretty concise and to the point, covering all the facts.
I can understand why EDF want the meters outside, and I don't know for sure, but would think they can make exceptions where it is unreasonable to put them there. Have you tried asking them? Also, with the introduction of smart meters over the next few years, there will be less need for meters to be readily accessible to meter readers.

Not too much to read mate - in fact pretty concise and to the point, covering all the facts.
I can understand why EDF want the meters outside, and I don't know for sure, but would think they can make exceptions where it is unreasonable to put them there. Have you tried asking them? Also, with the introduction of smart meters over the next few years, there will be less need for meters to be readily accessible to meter readers.

Cheers. I would normally deal with EDF myself however I am using a new main contractor (who was originally an electrician) and don't want to start interfering over his head just yet. He says he had exactly the same problem on his last job and that he has been told it is new regulation. From my experience, some of the EDF installers have tended to throw up obstacles where there should have been none or which could have been easily overcome. At this stage I am not quite sure whether it is a new reg or a tricky installer.

As you say, the new smart meters are about to come in so it would seem a strange time to start introducing such an inflexible rule.

each DNO have their own take on the rules, and it is them who have the final say. I would ring them up and try and speak to somebody who knows what they are talking about, and not a call centre.

Soprry i cant help more matey!

each DNO have their own take on the rules, and it is them who have the final say. I would ring them up and try and speak to somebody who knows what they are talking about, and not a call centre.

Soprry i cant help more matey!

Cheers. Fair enough - but is any on here reasonably familiar with the rules? Always good for me to have some idea what I am talking about before calling.

Also, who to speak to if not a call centre?

Reply to Repositioning meters for new conversion of shops into flats in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net