Discuss Rewire using covings and skirtings? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning everyone
Is it possible to do a domestic rewire by running cables inside skirting voids or behind covings and then chasing up/down? šŸ˜¬. I have a furnished flat with floors that I could do with protecting as much as possible. I could do without them being cut/lifted as much as normal. What do you reckon?
Thank you and merry Christmas!!!
PS not touching this myself, just trying to choose my finishes etc and wondering whether to check out covings/skirtings for costing. Have real electricians coming to quote in Jan. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Generally speaking skirting = no, coving = yes, due to prescribed cable zones. That is a simplification of the regs, your electrician can explain further.
(Do a google image search for "cable zones" )

I really don't like cables run behind skirting boards , if you are in a real pinch you could run a cable behind a skirting as a last resort but as for a whole rewire NO WAY

Behind decorative coving / molding then I don't see an issue as such if you cap your new cable to the walls at high level then cove over them. Not how I would do it but it isn't a terrible option

I did wonder if it worked as an alternative form of trunking because in my various years as an adult, Iā€™ve never once felt the need to hammer into or cut into a skirting or a coving.. walls however, all the time! It seemed a logical suggestion to me but I donā€™t want to deliberately cut corners (ho ho!). Just trying to find a practical way of delivering a job!

Skirting trunking would be deemed containment like any other form of trunking. Lashing it behind existing skirting boards is totally different.

You can buy skirting boards specially designed to conceal wiring inside the skirting.
It should be said that these skirtings are designed to "conceal" the wiring from an ascetic point of view. They look otherwise like an other form of electrical containment.
Regarding the use of other "safe zones" such as the 15 cm at the top of a wall or at the corner where 2 walls meet, well I for one am not keen to use them. They are "safe" in the sense that the regs state them to be so. But how many members of the public are aware of them?

It should be said that these skirtings are designed to "conceal" the wiring from an ascetic point of view. They look otherwise like an other form of electrical containment.
Regarding the use of other "safe zones" such as the 15 cm at the top of a wall or at the corner where 2 walls meet, well I for one am not keen to use them. They are "safe" in the sense that the regs state them to be so. But how many members of the public are aware of them?

I'd imagine that fewer prople know about these safe zones, than those who know about vertical and horizontal zones extending from accessories. Problem is that people are more likely to drill into those better known safe zones, than close to ceilings or corners, so those better known safe zones will always result in a significantly greater number of damaged cables.

In short; no cable is completely safe from enthusiastic shelf fitters or picture hangers, unless surface mounted, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about making use of these less regularly used zones when the need occasionally arises.

In short; no cable is completely safe from enthusiastic shelf fitters or picture hangers,
Agree. I was in the habit of taking pictures of the first fix stage so that the homeowners knew where and where not to drill holes for future shelving etc. Recently I changed tack. I have started to get the homeowners to take the photographs. It's remarkable how their awareness of what lies within their walls has changed as a result. I think I have the done as much as I can to future proof against accidents.
A second measure I sometimes take is to "create a zone" rather than use the inside corner, outside corner, top of wall etc. It costs an extra double socket but it gives me greater peace of mind

Agree. I was in the habit of taking pictures of the first fix stage so that the homeowners knew where and where not to drill holes for future shelving etc. Recently I changed tack. I have started to get the homeowners to take the photographs. It's remarkable how their awareness of what lies within their walls has changed as a result. I think I have the done as much as I can to future proof against accidents.
A second measure I sometimes take is to "create a zone" rather than use the inside corner, outside corner, top of wall etc. It costs an extra double socket but it gives me greater peace of mind

Much prefer the idea of cables running where they can obviously be traced from accessories, but reckon people will be more likely to hit cables in those usual safe zones due to the fact that they tend to be located in open spaces. I've done exactly as you describe in adding an extra accessory when it seemed to be the sensible option - if the opportunity arises, why not make life easier for yourself and (almost) everyone else?

Reply to Rewire using covings and skirtings? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net