Discuss Rewiring a pet chewed hoover with wire connectors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought a lovely new carpet cleaner over Christmas, the new Bissel pet revolution 2. Wonderful machine. My dog chewed through the wire in several places.

I need to re wire using wire connectors but I'm not 100% on which product connectors to use etc.

Looking for some pro advice!

Thanks in advance

Paul

Last edited:
If it has been chewed in several places it is likely to need a complete new cord, can you show a picture.

I will take a photo, I'm likely to change the whole wire at some point just need to use the machine for today.

Looking at that you could not even remove the damaged section without it being very short unless you used an extension lead but that would be a solution if you need to use is assuming you have a spare plug.

My planned action is to cut the chewed parts of the wire away and use wire connectors at 3 points on the cable, will look very frankenstein but should work. Right? (Essentially the same as the 3rd picture but without soldering)

Attachments

• 16407679183033977598707668269143.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211229_085443.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20211229-085801_Chrome.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 12
1640771958744.jpeg
I think you need to upgrade you vacuum storage location.

Joining the chewed cable is going to create a potentially more dangerous appliance!
if you are determined to do it, I would suggest using an in-line connector put on the bit of flex currently attached to the hoover, and get a new long flex instead of making further joints. (Must be put on the correct way round!) Something like this:
The advantage of this being if the cable gets pulled, the connector comes apart rather than live wires being pulled out of the cable clamps. And the cable clamps must be assembled correctly and tightly.

Please don't use the things below: Even the pics advertising the product show the cables not clamped properly. The flex can too easily come out if someone pulls on it. And the earth wire should be longer than the others, but irrelevant - this would be a really bad idea for your temporary repair!!
2BBA5AB8-C8C8-4A9C-BD26-BBA40A7A4F5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Joining the chewed cable is going to create a potentially more dangerous appliance!
if you are determined to do it, I would suggest using an in-line connector put on the bit of flex currently attached to the hoover, and get a new long flex instead of making further joints. (Must be put on the correct way round!) Something like this:
The advantage of this being if the cable gets pulled, the connector comes apart rather than live wires being pulled out of the cable clamps.

Please don't use the things below: Even the pics advertising the product show the cables not clamped properly. The flex can too easily come out if someone pulls on it. And the earth wire should be longer than the others, but irrelevant - this would be a really bad idea for the hoover!!
View attachment 93476

I've used one of those and it was actually quite reasonable. Good strong mouldings, it fastened together pretty securely. The cord grips were also good, assuming you position them over the sheath obviously!

Reply to Rewiring a pet chewed hoover with wire connectors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net