Discuss Rewiring double socket to triple fused socket. however three cables are already there in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris pratt

would there be an issue wiring three 2.5m2 cables into aterminal strip and then running one cable from the terminal strip into a triplesocket? as there isn't enough room for the fourth cable which will be a fusedspur from here. worried about potential cablerating issue? and obviously not best practice wiring. the socket is upstairsand appears to be part of the ring main. it is unclear where each of the threecables are going in the house

Re: Rewiring double socket to triple fused socket. however three cables are already t

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :), as a trainee we recommend you apply to our Trainee section where we have many well respected and established members who are happy to answer the questions expected of anyone climbing up the learning curve.

Re: Rewiring double socket to triple fused socket. however three cables are already t

Hi mate. welcome to the forum.
I take it the triple socket will be a spur off a ring main?
Does the circuit have RCD protection or does the new socket wiring not need it?
What terminals are you using and there will they be located?
Have you thought of using something like this? WAGO - 773-104 - Pluggable Terminal Block, 4 Ways, 400 V, 24 A, 18 AWG, 12 AWG | CPC UK
I don' quiet understand were the fused spare comes into this. Please go into detail about what you are adding/doing.

If you are saying you have a double socket on the ring with a fused spur off that socket and you want to add another spur at that double socket for a triple socket, then it would be easier to joint one of the ring cables and extend the ring out to the triple socket, this would give more flexibility and only require a maximum of three 2.5mm² in any terminal.
Ring plus 2 spurs in one socket.jpg
Alternatively find another socket from which to provide the triple socket spur.

Chris, you best take a look, read and inwardly digest Appendix 15 in BS7671 to understand the constraints regarding Ring Final Circuits and Radial Final Circuits, Spurs and the like.
Take Darkwoods advice and get access to the Trainee section

mornin' pete. how/s the hair? :yinyang:

mornin' pete. how/s the hair? :yinyang:

Hi Tel been shopping hence the delay, hows the hair, I'm missing something I'sure

Hi thanks for the responses,

The triple socket has a fuse built into it (http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-13a-3-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white/17315) and I was using his to replace a double socket that was already part of the ring main. the issue was when I removed the face plate there was three cables into the double socket already. as the triple socket has a fuse built in I was then going to spur two double sockets off from this.
the main issue for me being the wiring of two of the existing cables into a terminal strip which then has a single cable connected into the live of the triple socket. also the three existing cables have the neutrals terminated in a terminal strip and then one cable running into the neutral of the triple socket. all of this is situated in the backbox of the triple socket.
is it okay to leave it like this?
thanks for your help everyone

Chris, you're misunderstanding the fuse in the triple socket, this will only protect the socket itself from overloading and any cables connected to the terminals on the rear will be reliant on the circuit OCPD.

I would agree with Dave OCD, the fuse only protects the socket outlets at the front not the wiring behind the sockets.

The use of terminal block behind a socket would be allowable if the terminal block is suitably rated to carry the current of the ring and the cables can be securely terminated.
Having said that it is allowable I would also say that it is an indication that something is badly designed and not wired in the best way. It introduces an unnecessary joint in a circuit that already has a lot of joints which can increase the risk of failure of the circuit. There is limited space behind a socket and this may cause compression of the cables against the terminal lock and due to the limited enclosure of terminal block could cause a short circuit. These are worst case scenarios but it would generally be better to avoid using terminal block in the back of sockets.

Reply to Rewiring double socket to triple fused socket. however three cables are already there in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net