Discuss Right level 3 training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking at some level 3 courses. The most obvious to me at the moment would be inspection and testing considering Im a domestic installer. Howevet Im not sure this is really going to test me as I'm 80% aware of what needs to be done anyway
What I'm looking for is some advice on an interesting career path possibly away from the domestic installation and repairs. I met someone recently that worked on an antarctic science base looking after their electric systems. I'd like something that would give me the opportunity for travel and learning. Outside of level 3 what else us there? Should I consider degree courses and what kind of entry qualifications would I need? I don't see retaking my a levels as an option. Perhaps there's a foundation year for something?
I think what I'm looking for is probably something in the commercial/industrial sector.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Sorry to tell you this but to work in the commercial sector or industrial you will need to get your NVQ3 in order to be in with a chance. Without that your best hope is as a mate or improver for a company. College will be the best route for the NVQ3, which will be around 3 years of work. The New level 3 will be the base from which you could further your opportunities and focus on certain aspects of the trade.

Is city and guilds level 3 different? To get inspection and testing will take me a few months. I should probably fo this anyway for something in the meantime. I think I can get a JIB card with this. But what after? I'd prefer to study over working on the job tbh.

Thanks.

If your only a Di at moment then no you couldn't get a JIB card with the level 3 testing. Although testing is level 3,its not an NVQ level 3 which is what is required for the JIB card. The NVQ routes at the moment are the C&G2357, three years which is the college course combined with the NVQ portfolio. The other route is the C&G2365 which again is three years of college without the NVQ part, this you add on at the end. The difference is that you have to be employed in the industry to do the 2357. The 2365 is the way to do it without being employed and then getting employment to do the additional units to complete the NVQ.

If your only a Di at moment then no you couldn't get a JIB card with the level 3 testing. Although testing is level 3,its not an NVQ level 3 which is what is required for the JIB card. The NVQ routes at the moment are the C&G2357, three years which is the college course combined with the NVQ portfolio. The other route is the C&G2365 which again is three years of college without the NVQ part, this you add on at the end. The difference is that you have to be employed in the industry to do the 2357. The 2365 is the way to do it without being employed and then getting employment to do the additional units to complete the NVQ.

Thanks for clearing that up. Theres a centre near me that will provide 2356-03 training in 8 months. Im hoping I won't need the level 2 if I can pass that. Then on to a job and the NVQ units??

Thanks.

as above ^^^^^

- - - Updated - - -

and you can not just go on a nvq3 because you need to get you 2330 lvl 2 and 3 first

They've actually scrapped the 2330 now. Now if you are employed you do the 2357 (the new 2356) which is basically the old 2330 combined with the NVQ, run as one course with an AM2 at the end. If not employed you can do the 2365 level 2 and 3 which is the old 2330 without the NVQ, then once you have completed the 2365 and found employment, you can take the additional units for the 2357 so as to gain the NVQ part of it, plus of course the AM2.

Thanks for clearing that up. Theres a centre near me that will provide 2356-03 training in 8 months. Im hoping I won't need the level 2 if I can pass that. Then on to a job and the NVQ units??

Thanks.

The 2356 is the predecessor for the 2357, registration has closed for it but there are still some places available, if they are offering it, be up front that you have not done the 2330 level 2 and 3 as they can offer knowledge assessments to fulfil those units. Once you have the 2356 you should be eligible to apply for a JIB card but don't quote me on it.

Reply to Right level 3 training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net