Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Ring final continuity readings............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickytuff

Hi all had a weird one today, actually make it two, tested ringfinal continuity at the board lives were 0.00 and so were neutrals, earths were the same too, not sure why, is it a ring that has been interconnected causing a duff reading??
Secondingly tested another property's ringfinal circuit and got 30 ohms, very high- across lives an neutrals, earths were 49 ohms.........has anybody discovered similiar readings as i need to put an observation against these results and i would be even happier if i knew what they suggested/what was wrong with these circuits?? :sad_smile:

Hi all had a weird one today, actually make it two, tested ringfinal continuity at the board lives were 0.00 and so were neutrals, earths were the same too, not sure why, is it a ring that has been interconnected causing a duff reading??
Still wouldn't be 0.00.
Did you still have the meter nulled on wander lead?

Secondingly tested another property's ringfinal circuit and got 30 ohms, very high- across lives an neutrals, earths were 49 ohms.........
Odd that the proportions are right - just 100 times to high. Still thinking.

[B said:
mickytuff;666796]Hi all had a weird one today, actually make it two, tested ringfinal continuity at the board lives were 0.00 and so were neutrals, earths were the same too, not sure why, is it a ring that has been interconnected causing a duff reading??
[/B]Secondingly tested another property's ringfinal circuit and got 30 ohms, very high- across lives an neutrals, earths were 49 ohms.........has anybody discovered similiar readings as i need to put an observation against these results and i would be even happier if i knew what they suggested/what was wrong with these circuits?? :sad_smile:

Superconductivity !!

Might be worth checking your testers leads mate, had the same problem before even when nulled readings jump about because a dodgy connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what happened to the grammar then!

Secondingly tested another property's ringfinal circuit and got 30 ohms, very high- across lives an neutrals, earths were 49 ohms.........has anybody discovered similiar readings as i need to put an observation against these results and i would be even happier if i knew what they suggested/what was wrong with these circuits?? :sad_smile:

Joking aside... what you are describing is not possible ( zero ohms ) Unless you forgot to seperate the legs at the CU !

My testers fine, batteries fully charged, and checked readings on my spare meter, exactly the same so the readings are correct, i think the ring is interconnected very close to the board and is duffing the reading up hence the 0.00 which is obviously not a correct/compliant reading as it suggests no resistance............there must be a reason for it

...ahhh uve replied whilst i replied, if its doing it on several meters then its obviouslly not going to be them. Sometimes you can null though and immediatley after its still not nulled. There will be a simple explanation.

hes in swiss alps, sern ..... you cant be getting zero... dont null leads and see what they read..., maybe incorrect seting or or or oor orrrrrrrrr

so no explanation then oh well worth a try, it must b a freak of electric nature, or more likely a duff ring, either way code 2 requires further investigation to locate and then rectify........

My testers fine, batteries fully charged, and checked readings on my spare meter, exactly the same so the readings are correct, i think the ring is interconnected very close to the board and is duffing the reading up hence the 0.00 which is obviously not a correct/compliant reading as it suggests no resistance............there must be a reason for it

Ok if you think the ring is interconnected close to the board why did you not open a socket at the half way point and test there. I would suspect ring leaving board probably straight to a JB then on to sockets.

Seen readings like this once - the CU had been moved down the wall and the offending JB was under the floor board - the sparky had connected 4 cables into one 30A jb!

Reply to Ring final continuity readings............. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net