Discuss Roof hooks for these tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Any of you guys help me identify the best roof hook for these tiles. The image is not great but these do not look like normal roman tiles as the valleys look a little tight. Will a standard concrete tile hook work?
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks photo_zpsc7754b02.jpg

Some people won't like this suggestion :) they will work though: Click-fit Solar Trade Sales - Click-Fit
ONLY install them if the battens are in good condition, if you have any concerns about the battens or batten / rafter fixing integrity, don't use them. Install them at 400 centres, and 200 at the edges. (i.e every tile / every other tile)

Last edited:
Some people won't like this suggestion :) they will work though: Click-fit Solar Trade Sales - Click-Fit
ONLY install them if the battens are in good condition, if you have any concerns about the battens or batten / rafter fixing integrity, don't use them. Install them at 400 centres, and 200 at the edges. (i.e every tile / every other tile)
rather depends on the batten dimensions - modern 25 x 50mm, can't see a problem, farm building though.... erm, well I'd want to have the tiles off first to find out before landing on site I reckon.

can't really advise from the photo, maybe a higher res version or zoomed in on the tiles.

Thanks Worcester. Are you saying normal hooks will NOT work as I am supposed to be doing this on Wednesday and just got this information. I always poo poo'd click fit and would not have time to get them anyway. If I have to postpone I would need to do it now rather than drive all the way to Notts for no reason as I will have to get others to check the roof condition first.
Never simple, is it!

The problem you are going to have (as you noticed :) ) is the distance from where a rafter might be to the valley - it could be up to 1/2 a tile in either direction.

I'm not aware of any 'normal' roof hook that would allow that much offset from the rafter - no doubt others may know of one, that is a lot of offset though.

Your alternative is to insert plenty of noggins and then fix to the noggins with a more normal roof hook, - I'd say that would be likely in 75% of the brackets if it was my luck! (and you'll need access to the underside of the roof)

Yes I have "roman" Marley's and had to use noggins to hit the valleys so was aware of the issue. With a narrow valley the chances are we will need a "number" of noggins as you say. If I can use my rails and hooks and clamps then that is my preferred option. I told the guy we needed timber for noggins anyway so if a standard hook will fit in the valley we can get the saw out - oh joy. I guess we need to angle grind the underside also on each one.
The roof is 4x2 rafters with 2x1 battens in good condition but I still don't want to use Click fit.
So plan A is back on but the weather is going to be pants on Wednesday.

Good luck Wednesday.

Weather is always pants when you have to do a roof :) There again some of my guys actually enjoy it !!

Me, I'm enjoying the massive surge in ASHP's GSHP's and Biomass, where about 1/2 of the work is indoors, and groundworks contractors do the muddy stuff - point then in a direction and let them come back 400 m later :)

Scletter make an adjustable Eco 'g' bracket has a six inch base plate and the arm of the bracket can be positioned middle or outer edges. Adjusts in hight at base and at end to get the right lift that you need. Cost around £5.50 each mind!

They look like Bold Roll tiles, possibly Marley. I only know because we had to fit 4 panels on an extension using these.

The rails were vertical so placement wasn't a problem. The Schletter standard pantile hooks were ok width wise for the valley. We did have to do a fair bit of grinding.

The tiles are apparently quite rare, as I found out when we had to replace a couple but luckily a place in sheffield had some in stock which is just down the road.

easy peasy renusol intersole (semi in-roof)

Compared to what! I wouldn't call renusol intersole easy peasy! In fact we'll try any other in-roof system any time! Easiest in roof definitely IRFTS .. :sifone:

p.s. back to original topic, @solarfred, how did you get on in the wind and rain today ?

All done today as I only got to site late yesterday and we were looking at (and then connecting) the mastervolt combi charge/inverter kit and a lot of batteries inside as it was hissing down.
The tiles were Marley and as there was a good gap under the tiles I ran 2 inch wide battens all the way along to pack the "rosemary" tile hooks I used. Then screwed through this into noggins. The hooks fitted perfectly after grinding every tile. None of the tiles were fixed so that was easy.None were broken.
Finished at dusk today as had to make up a load of fly leads to connect pairs of panels in series then everything in parallel to keep the voltage down. Interesting project. Hoping the guy is going to have a solar powered electric gate too but Nottingham is a real drag from Margate!

Thanks for all the advice.

@solarfred thanks for the update, we know how you love DC based systems :) It did rain a bit Wednesday didn't it :thinking2:

Reply to Roof hooks for these tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net