Discuss S System no Live return on orange cable. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Have 2nd fixed a S plan System this afternoon which doesn't seem to be working correctly....

The HW is switching the boiler on fine, but CH isnt firing the boiler although it moves the valve as if it should be.

I'm not getting any return live on the CH 2 port valves's orange cable when the stat is calling and have 230V both side of stat which i have proved is going to the brown of the valve flex.
The Valve is switching over when the stats calling but it doesn't fire the boiler, HW has been working fine so i swapped the two valves over and the problem still occurred on CH (proving its not a fault with the valves so ide of thought?)

I've gone through all the wiring and it all seems correct, I've tested that the programmer/stat is switching correctly which they are so this has left me stumped!

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Many Thanks.

When you say you've swapped the "valves" over, did you just swap the actuator. The only thing I can think of is a mechanical problem with the CH valve preventing the actuator from completing the circuit through to orange for the CH. I take it you get no boiler fire up and no pump activity either.

Thanks for replying so quickly - I swapped the Actuator & Wiring not the actual "plumbing part".

Everything working when calling for HW
When calling for CH - No live feed back from orange which is causing no activity with pump/boiler. Thats correct

My logic was: something is stopping the switch from being activated in the actuator (and it worked fine electrically when swapped to the HW).

However the valve is operating, if only partially and the problem didn't follow the actuator when swapped with the HW; it stayed with the valve. Then it has to be a faulty valve (IE not complety free opening). I would remove the actuator from the CH valve and ensure that the CH valve has completely free open/close movement. Get the plumber to do it if they're still around.

not teaching you to suck eggs but check your
sw live at the room statt connected onto the brown on valve in wiring centre
grey=perm live
blue=neutral
green/yellow= earth
also check valve is on auto

check your swl connection in the wiring centre could have a connecter in the strip cross threaded not making connection, or the valve isnt moving in the plumbing part

try moving the valve manually with the lever,that would prove if the switch is working,ie if it operates when moved manually then its the valve head,if not its the switch in the actuator,assumin all wiring correct.

Reply to S System no Live return on orange cable. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net