Discuss Safe change consumer unit - main fuse seal question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

In regards of legality it's not the same, because the owner of the isolator or switchfuse gives you permission.

The owner of the cutout does not.

But the main issue is the safety one, and that's which, combined with the fact that it's not reasonable to do it, makes it a contravention of the EAWR.

And I dare say that if they had a mind to a DNO could argue that reinserting the fuse without their permision counts as a contravention of ESQCR 25...

It can only be illegal to pull a fuse without permission then as some DNO's have no qualms with you playing with their toys.
If it's not reasonable to do it & a contravention of the EAWR then all DNO's should know this too and make you aware of it, they don't.

How many times?! It's not illegal to pull the fuse! It's not contravening the EAWR's as long as you forfill certain requirements and it's laughable that you'd even bring ESQCR 25 in to the argument.

That's up to them.

But if you turn out to be mistaken in your ability to do it safely the HSE will be breathing down your neck.

Maybe they assume that, as a professional, you are fully aware of the laws which apply to your activities.
Are you saying that it's only illegal to pull a fuse if you don't have the ability to do it safely, regardless of whether the owner of the fuse gives you permission?

And they have no issues with you breaking the 'law'?
Even I know you don't believe that one.

Edit: Mr Skelton has a point, I can't be arsed debating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, it's only illegal if you cannot do it safely, or it is unreasonable to do so. Some may argue that it would be unreasonable to pull the fuse if you only need to work on a lighting circuit which already has a means of isolation. The critical part of that sentence is 'some may argue'.

Let's look at it this way lads. this week and another 2 weeks i/we have a 2330 level 2 qualified student with us on a large house rewire, he asked me about pulling the main fuse. My reply was:-

1. Don't do it at your level of experience or quals (no where near yet IMHO).

2. When you are ready to do it make sure you know what your doing from the training (not yet received) by us.

3. Full on safety must be applied, full concentration and adequate equipment must by used.

4. The ability to understand what you are dealing with.

5. Switch off all the load before touching it.

6. Fit an isolation switch before you leave.

7. No electrician has been prosecuted in a court of law in the UK for pulling the bullet (long as it as not caused death or injury).

IMHO I agree with most of the posts TO A POINT and the words COMPETANCE and SAFELY the legality issue could go round n round
the Campetance and safety issue is the paramount one and altho a lot of properties have nice henley series 7 cutouts there are loads more old cruddy bakalite cast iron ect ect some with no covering over lives once the fuse is removed ( btw this could constitute a code 1 if done on a PIR unless there is requirement to "use a tool to remove" and exposing live parts ???)
The competance is in the control of person carrying out the work IF you have doubts DONT DO IT ie if you have to come here and ask about it then IMHO Your not competant

)

Full agreement with Mooga.
Ask the question then you’ve got doubts.
Doubts = lack of confidence.
You need the confidence and knowledge to be competent.
Without that competency LEAVE WELL ALONE!

The competance is in the control of person carrying out the work IF you have doubts DONT DO IT ie if you have to come here and ask about it then IMHO Your not competant

Sorry mogga, but I cant agree with you on this one. Its seems such a sweeping statement. Lots of competant people ask questions on this site about a job they want to do.

I agree with Spoon - I have to change my first consumer unit soon and I have passed all my level 3 exams and 17th edition exams etc however I although I am sure I will know how to pull out a fuse from a fuse carrier safely I have never done so. Hence that's why people like us come on forums like this for a little clarity. A little shortage of confidence DOESN'T mean we are completely incompetant!

Sorry guys it's just that some people with less experience are looking for reassurance from people on here that have tons of experience and who's help we really appreciate.

But you’re not sure are you? Sorry but faced with an old porcelain cutout what are you going to do? Grasp the nettle and pull (it’ll sting)!

I wouldn't be sure your right - It's not something we would have been taught and it only comes with experience when your faced with that scenario and the majority of us would seek advise on how to deal with something like an old porcelain cutout safely i'm sure.

i agree with Bud1975. OK i I have passed level 3 exams and 17th edition exam, so i am qualifited electrician ?? I know is lot of professional electrician on this forum, but i think (i know) everyone of pro electrician ever changing fuse board first time. So this is my question how do this safe, any trick, or technic... About main fuse i think this is ilegal but alooooooooooooooooooot electrician change fuse board anyway so how they do this ?? Anywya - thanks for a lot respond for my topic. and sorry for my english :)

Yes Spoon But if you watch and read the way some questions are asked specialy the FUSE Pull one you will understand where im coming from

Sorry, ....That's not what i've been told happens at all. For a start, most of the meters that are installed these days are conducted by meter installer companies, not actually by the DNO at all!!! The only time you see DNO operatives at an existing cut-out/meter installation, is if there is a problem with the cut-out or the supply cable side....

Secondly i've been reliably informed, and has been confirmed here on the forum several times by employees of these companies, that these meter company installers get , ...if they are lucky one or two days training!! That's a bit of a difference to what you are saying here!!! And i have no interest either way, whether sparks in the UK pull cut-out fuses or not!!!

Having attended an electricity board cable jointers course along with some of their operatives doing LV joints and heads they get more than one weeks training. I was doing training on up to 33KV joints, but while I was in the training shop I asked if I could do a 3ph+n splice live. I was in line with all the other lads, believe me when you know that conductor in your hand is LIVE, life takes on a whole new meaning. I got several belts until I learnt about safe touch zones.

BAS look, listen and learn. There’s more to life than a book of regulations, as I’ve said before, practicality being one of the main ones.

Having attended an electricity board cable jointers course along with some of their operatives doing LV joints and heads they get more than one weeks training. I was doing training on up to 33KV joints, but while I was in the training shop I asked if I could do a 3ph+n splice live. I was in line with all the other lads, believe me when you know that conductor in your hand is LIVE, life takes on a whole new meaning. I got several belts until I learnt about safe touch zones.

BAS look, listen and learn. There’s more to life than a book of regulations, as I’ve said before, practicality being one of the main ones.

Now your talking!! ....That was in the the days of the regional electrical boards. I wonder if that training is still as comprehensive as you found, under the new privatised DNO set-up?? Or maybe they consider/deemed, that full training is not financially viable!! ...lol!!

I Know that Scottish power still have a large training facility in cumbernauld they use it for their own Opperatives L.A. streetlighting opps also hold courses there on types of head and overhead line stuff I beleive that Subbys have courses there before they get tickets to work on submains ect

Now your talking!! ....That was in the the days of the regional electrical boards. I wonder if that training is still as comprehensive as you found, under the new privatised DNO set-up?? Or maybe they consider/deemed, that full training is not financially viable!! ...lol!!

It was with the EMEB. A fantastic course, a laugh a minute, but we did learn a lot.
· Lesson 1: Don’t drop the gas torch in the paraffin tray. Entire collage evacuated while we put the fire out.
· Lesson 2: Don’t trust your mate. Molten lead hurts when it lands on your wrist.
· Lesson 3: There’s only one way to put a joint together. Guy looking confused as he tries to work out how to get the core spreaders in after he’s dressed the lead sleeve down. (Chuck them in the corner, no one will know when it’s filled with compound).
· Lesson 4: My trick, don’t get the lead wire and solder mixer up. You can’t solder with lead wire. It melts but won’t stick to anything.
Take notes when they show you the black museum, I didn’t know there was so many ways to fiddle a lecy meter, some crude, some downright ingenious!

View attachment 7375

Reply to Safe change consumer unit - main fuse seal question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net