Discuss SANYO MC3 to MC4 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There has to be a better way of fitting MC3 connectors that doesn't involve losing skin from knuckles! I like a little squirt of lube.......

There has to be a better way of fitting MC3 connectors that doesn't involve losing skin from knuckles! I like a little squirt of lube.......
have you got one of the proper MC3 guns?

piece of **** with one of them. I probably even prefer them to MC4s as the MC4s are a git to get properly tightened up so the cable end's fully water proof.

to be honest we have only ever done a few sanyo jobs, everything else has been suntech or samsung and so never thought it worth buying the gun, probably even less likely now!

I'm sure Sanyo's used to have Mc4 on the HIT240's as when we started our first job with sanyo we only had Mc3's in stock

Have to agree with the post above about the Mc4's being difficult to tighten properly ,they always look as though they're undone

I have had two different batches of mc4s and differing sizes of outer sheath on the cables, sometimes they go together really well but we prefer to use the solar cables with the larger outer diameter as they seem to be more durable than some of the wet strings supplied in kits. Now find me a supplier of solar radox connectors which isn't expensive!

Hi grate forum....

Question: installers installed 10 Sanyo 250w panels and Fronius Inverter IG30v. On some panels they cut off MC3 Sanyo original connectors and replaced them with MC4. As probably installers did not have MC3 connectors and crimping tool with them. Sanyo panels look like use 6mm strings cable diameter, installers used 4mm cable to connect panels together as 10 panels spread across 3 roof spaces. Now, reading this thread I concerned about Sanyo warranty. Is it voided if you cut off original MC3 and replace them with MC4? Is it ok to connect 6mm cable with 4mm? What connectors they should of used on Fronius IG30V inverter MC3 or MC4? Panels have been shipped to one of Caribbean island and now if warranty voided they have to ship other load!!!!
Can I earth panels trough panels frame or railing panels sitting on? Installed on metal roof, as per reg of the country they installed have to be separate ground spike for panels. Please advice

Thank you

4mm cable is fine, sanyo only use 6mm so they can be used for industrial jobs as well.

I can't see how swapping the connectors would invalidate the warrantee unless the fault was with the connector, in which case it'd be the installers warrantee.

If you have any further questions, I could come and answer them in person if you post me a plane ticket to the caribbean;)

Thankx for reply Gavin A.......Got email from Sanyo they told me that warranty compromised if connectors cut off :death:will be costly mistake for installer.

Can I earth panels trough panels frame or railing panels sitting on? Installed on metal roof, as per reg of the country they installed have to be separate ground spike for panels. Please advice

Hi to everyone

Just to confirm, can DC 4mm cables be connected to 6mm Panasonic panels cables? Not sure if cables with different diameters can be connected together. I think Gavin already answer that question above. Confirmation will be appreciated. Regards

@valet, I'd be astonished if panasonic use 6mm2 cables - do they really? ( I could be wrong..)

OR have you measured the outside diameter?

Just do your cables sizing calcs as always, Current Carrying capacity and Voltage Drop.

Panasonic panels cables definitely 6mm they are the same as Sanyo panels and still have MC3 connectors on them they ment to be updated new Panasonic panels with MC4 / SMK connectors from Sanyo.
It will be ok to connect them in to 4mm DC, Or I have to use 6mm DC cable? Is it much of the difference between 4mm and 6mm DC cable, distance from panels to inverter between 10- 15 meters. Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the length of the string run? How many panels in a string?

I's a standard cable sizing excercise, so you can easily calulate the cuurent carrying capacity and the voltage drop. - Sunny Design will even do it for you :)

Reply to SANYO MC3 to MC4 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net