Discuss Sharing a room when working away? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I have been told I am working away, they have not said anything about sharing a room with someone to me as of yet, however I heard one of the other guys who is going away is sharing a room? Is this okay as I feel I would rather have my own personal space after work and since I have not even met the guy I’m sharing a room with yet it feels weird.

I do not want to say anything as I’ve just started my apprenticeship and don’t want to get sacked or anything. I have no experience at all so I don’t feel like I can really say anything about having my own room

what are your guys thoughts?

It's common practice. I was working away for 9 months and shared a room the entire time mainly with 1 other guy but for a few weeks with 3 others. When your not paying for your own digs it's just something you have to get on with.

Last edited:
I work away most of the time. There is no way any of our team would share a room. You wouldn't share a room with a workmate at home so why should you when working away. The job should have been priced at the start for single rooms.

I mentioned a few weeks ago I worked away when Heathrow was building T5. I had to share a hotel room with a colleague, but due to his wandering hands, he ended up in some girls room several nights a week.

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but does JIB not state how much the company has to pay towards accommodation? If you want a single room, you could pay the extra.

I remember one time my brother who got lumbered running a job ended up booking two boys into a double bed.

It was either that or sleep in the van.

I was with him a month later in the pub whenever one of the guys met us and started complaining to him, it was funny to watch as an impartial observer

Another time he had the boys staying in a stable. The first night they couldn’t understand what the noise was, in the morning they realised they were in an adjoining room with a horse.

One of my directors actually just asked me this this other day.

My answer? "I'm cool sharing, but fair warning: I snore."
Shared a room for a week with a guy that could shake foundations with his snoring. The last night I was so desperate for some actual sleep I dragged the bed clothes into the bathroom and went to sleep in the shower cubicle.
What I didn’t bank on was him going to the loo starkers at 3am....

I got sick of staying in hotels, bar at bottom of stairs, people going in and out of room. so I went air b&b, boss give me €3 per hour for accommodation. So wasnt far off. Result.

-------s to all that . Either some companies just treat their staff like poo or they cant price a job to ensure twins or single rooms etc .What happens if the team is a male and a female ? or even worse one who needs to be identified at another sex in their own time etc ! You could wake up to find all sorts going on

I do not want to say anything as I’ve just started my apprenticeship and don’t want to get sacked or anything. I have no experience at all so I don’t feel like I can really say anything about having my own room
It's perfectly possible to have a civil and non-pushy conversation where you ask if there is any possibility of not sharing a room or suggest finding your own digs for a price per night, even if you end up paying a small part of it yourself to get what you want. Even if he says no for financial reasons you can't be sacked for asking a question and it doesn't have to be unpleasant.
He or she will mainly be wary of young apprentices thinking they are God's gift to the world and keen to exercise their 'rights' so just make sure you don't fit that stereotype. Just be easy-going and polite.

Sharing rooms sucks even when you have a decent roomie, If they're an --- hat with no regard for the fact its a shared space it's a living hell. I shared with a guy once who's Snoring was so bad by the 3rd night i had 2 options , kill him or sleep in the transit van. I chose the 2nd option and called my boss in the morning with his options, find someone else to replace me or get me a single room.

Reply to Sharing a room when working away? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net