Discuss Shower pullcord???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickytuff

I was always under the impression that a shower pullcord or shower switch (outside the bathroom) was a requirement of a shower circuit, but i was advised today by a QS that this isnt the case as the circuit has means of isolation for maintenance purposes, ie the mcb feeding it, so my question is ........is there a regulation that states that local isolation must be present, as i thought it was.....all advice and opinions greatly recieved guys )))))

537.2.2. Local isolation is required. id be asking him the question why he thinks it isnt. using an MCB is fine but the distance between the board and shower are the issue

Where is the word local in the regs!

I think maybe if the earthing system was TT then MCB alone woould not surfice as its not double pole.

I would also look at what the manufacturer recommends!

IMOO it is best practice to fit a double pole isolator local to the shower!

537.2.2. Local isolation is required. id be asking him the question why he thinks it isnt. using an MCB is fine but the distance between the board and shower are the issue

nowhere in that reg requires isolation to be local.
the QS is right , you're all talking baloney.
;-)

i agree tony, why do you recommend/advise more of a requirement if the earthing system were TT?, in this property it was TNC-S or PME.

regardless of regs, on this occassion it would be bad pratice IMO not to have a double pole isolator near the shower, a pull cord is adequate for meeting this as well, imagine going straight from the breaker to the shower? would you sleep tonight ?

Its all about interpretation of the regs, some people try and manipulate them by saying they dont have a specific word in them, like MDJ says obviously some people sleep easier than others at night

Its all about interpretation of the regs, some people try and manipulate them by saying they dont have a specific word in them, like MDJ says obviously some people sleep easier than others at night

Quite so.

It should say:

All fixed electrical equipment to have 2P isolation within 2m
All kitchen items such as dishwashers, washing machines, cookers, fridges, freezers to have 2P isolation within 2M. It is NOT acceptable to have a socket concealed by the item it is supplying.
All outside circuits, power and lighting, to have 2P isolation.

If I do a PIR and code a shower for not having local isolation I need to identfy the regulation that is not being adhered to for the customer who is paying for the report!

If a regulation does not exist I cannot just invent one !

I agree its best practice to install a isolator!

Reply to Shower pullcord???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net