Discuss Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just 1st fixed a .little extension,bog standard stuff,.its a council house with new rcbo DB,PIT stickers saying next test is 2015.Installing a shower wired in 10mm T&E,can u believe there is no main bonding conductors,obviously reported back to boss..Now 2nd fix told to carry on regardless,authorites have been notified but no answers yet,would you energise shower circuit.

nope...not until bonding was fitted. you'd be leaving yourself wide open to prosecution. ( i'm assuming that bonding is necessary, not plastic pipework).

As above, you have highlighted a problem and therefore should not proceed until it as been rectified .You will be the last person on the job,so you need to put it right or walk away.

Just 1st fixed a .little extension,bog standard stuff,.its a council house with new rcbo DB,PIT stickers saying next test is 2015.Installing a shower wired in 10mm T&E,can u believe there is no main bonding conductors,obviously reported back to boss..Now 2nd fix told to carry on regardless,authorites have been notified but no answers yet,would you energise shower circuit.

Have u done a cross bond check?

IR test between any metalwork (such as taps, radiators ect) and the MET.....anything greater than 22K is not considered to be extranious....and as such would not require bonding

I keep hearing this 'over 22K ohms is not considered extraneous'. Is there a reg for that Glennspark or is it rule of thumb??

I keep hearing this 'over 22K ohms is not considered extraneous'. Is there a reg for that Glennspark or is it rule of thumb??

Someone explained it the over day, when the resistance is over 22k ohms the maximum current that can flow through your body to the pipework would be something like 10mA

Yea no bonding whatsoever,a shower circuit already exists & working,so whoever fitted the db,didnt care abit,GOT his money & ran like the wind,sticking a couple of PIT labels on.Will again ask boss ,most probably switch off the new shower circuit,cauasing hell fire with the lady of the house cheers

Cliffed

GN8, "definition of an extraneous conductive part", not going to give page no's as I have pre 2011 copy but as you can imagine there is a detailed explanation of why 22k Ohms, the 10mA let go threshold and some chewy equations.

of course, the niceic have made up their own rule of >10K not requiring bonding. obviously their thick skins are a much higher resistance than us normal mortals.

Reply to Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net