Discuss signing off domestic works (part p) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daniel.willis30

hi all, ive been working with electrics for 11-12 yrs now mostly rewires and ive been asked to get what ever it is i need to give a certificate for domestic installs. i currently have my city and guilds 2330 and im in the process of doing my nvq3 (log book).

so what do i need in order to get my part p?

i know i need a 17th edition.

cheers dan

hi all, ive been working with electrics for 11-12 yrs now mostly rewires and ive been asked to get what ever it is i need to give a certificate for domestic installs. i currently have my city and guilds 2330 and im in the process of doing my nvq3 (log book).

so what do i need in order to get my part p?

i know i need a 17th edition.

cheers dan
you dont need part p.

you become part p registered when you sign up to say niceic,elecsa,napit etc.

part p is only one of the building regs you need to comply to and its only for new builds really.

to get classed as approved you need

2330equivalent tech cert
17th edition
nvq
testing and inspection either 2391 or 2394/2395

Last edited:
no, but they keep phoning me to join them. all these scams are much of a muchness, but elecsa seem to be the most friendly.

Or just fill put the relevant cert and give it too the customer, do away with the BS that is Part P and keep the £400 plus cost of each notifiaction in your pocket.

Or if you feel a need to join one of the scams phone them all up and ask them the following questions

1. What benefits do you get from joining them? ( eg, there advertising to the general public, not trade magazines)
2. Why is there such a cost difference between their joining fees and the other sacams?
3. What do they do to ensure all their members keep up the standard of the trade away from the annual half day assesment in which the said member get to choose which job to show them?
4. Are all electricians just that good because you seem to be unable to find any evidence of a prosecution by the scams for negligant work?

right so i dont have my nvq3 (log book) yet so if i was to do a part p course can i sign the graft off?il also need a 17th.
without napit or anyone else?

its a right pita coz when i signed up to my 2330 course bout 8 yrs ago every one thought we were gona come out sparks then the college said wed need to do a 17th even though we learned to the 17th. and a log book....... still not sure if i need an am2 to this day!!! its all a load of dunce in my eyes! why not run one course and that b that!! obviously u need to b working in the trade and not just a paper passer.

dan.

right so i dont have my nvq3 (log book) yet so if i was to do a part p course can i sign the graft off?il also need a 17th.
without napit or anyone else?

its a right pita coz when i signed up to my 2330 course bout 8 yrs ago every one thought we were gona come out sparks then the college said wed need to do a 17th even though we learned to the 17th. and a log book....... still not sure if i need an am2 to this day!!! its all a load of dunce in my eyes! why not run one course and that b that!! obviously u need to b working in the trade and not just a paper passer.

dan.
There is no such thing as a part p course. There are the various domestic installer certs which are an insult to the intelligence of any properly qualified electrician.
My advice would be for you to complete your study programme with the NVQ3 and AM2, you could then apply for grading with the JIB (for what that's worth)
If you then still feel a burning desire to enter the race to the bottom which is the domestic side of the trade then you could do some work in your own home and apply for membership of one of the many r£gulatory bodies but if I were you I'd do what Dillb suggested.
Good luck Dan

Reply to signing off domestic works (part p) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net