Discuss Silly quick Q about BS1363 unsleeved pins under ACoP Ed.5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can't find my current ISITEE ACoP (5th edition) but I need to be quite certain about the position on unsleeved 13A plug pins. I think I know the answer but I am being challenged on it. Can anyone quote directly?

I can't find my current ISITEE ACoP (5th edition) but I need to be quite certain about the position on unsleeved 13A plug pins. I think I know the answer but I am being challenged on it. Can anyone quote directly?
I found this doing a quick search

In 1984 BS1363 was amended with a requirement that the line and neutral pins should have an insulation sleeve. 30 plus years later, equipment fitted with non-sleeved plugs is still found in use. What should you do if you find an non-sleeved plug during a PAT inspection?

Plugs sold in the UK have been covered by statutory legislation since 1987. This legally requires them to meet the BS1363 British Standard. However the legislation is not retrospective, it does not apply to old plugs already in use. There is no requirement to replace non-sleeved plugs. (IET Code of Practice, page 138, table VII.1 section 15)

Sure, but I need to be 100% certain that this is correct under Ed. 5, and that quote doesn't state which edition. I have a hard-copy and I could have sworn it was in the living room but it's hiding.

I have a hard copy, but it's not available to me at the moment as i am not at home. However, I believe the correct course is to replace non-sleeved plugs with sleeved ones. I am NOT saying it's compulsory, but I wouldn't "pass" an appliance with such a plug.
First of all, it's likely to be a very old plug, probably perfectly serviceable as they were built to last in those days, but a newer one might be expected to last as long again.
Secondly, given the unsleeved pins are not as safe, for £1.50 why not "upgrade" so you are leaving the appliance in a better and more compliant state?
Just my opinion, but I will review next week when i get my hard copy on hand.

I specifically need to confirm the position stated in CoP Ed. 5. I am being challenged on what I believe it says, but cannot argue the case without sight of the actual source.

The particular situation under discussion is outside the scope of commercial ISITEE and has nothing to do with passing / failing / replacing plugs on customers' equipment. However I want to be able to base what I say on the content of CoP Ed.5, which to my frustration I cannot quote.

Last edited:
Lucien, is the attached section the one you are looking for?
Taken from 5th edition Appendix 6.

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_191650.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 40
Thank you, that's exactly what I thought it said. Just leaves the question of who or what has eaten my copy of the book.

Reply to Silly quick Q about BS1363 unsleeved pins under ACoP Ed.5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net