Discuss simple light switch query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

geller

Hello
I have redecorated and am trying to replace an old Light switch.
It is older Blk and red wiring.

This is the way it works.

At the bottom of the stairs i have a double 2 way switch which operates both upstairs and down.
At the top i have a Single switch which only operates the upstairs light.
I have replaced the double switch downstairs, no problem.
But when i took off the old switch upstairs, i noted the way the wiring was and tried to fit a new switch.
The old permutation from the old switch didn't seem to make the new switch work so i tried switching around until i got the light working fine.
The only trouble i have is when the downstairs lightswitch turns on the upstairs light, the upstairs lightswitch won't turn it off.

I have one Red and Two Blacks wires in the upstairs switch and i have both a single 1 way and a single 2way switch i can use.

Which should i use and can you please tell me the way round the wiring should go.

Many thanks.

Hello
I have redecorated and am trying to replace an old Light switch.
It is older Blk and red wiring.

This is the way it works.

At the bottom of the stairs i have a double 2 way switch which operates both upstairs and down.
At the top i have a Single switch which only operates the upstairs light.
I have replaced the double switch downstairs, no problem.
But when i took off the old switch upstairs, i noted the way the wiring was and tried to fit a new switch.
The old permutation from the old switch didn't seem to make the new switch work so i tried switching around until i got the light working fine.
The only trouble i have is when the downstairs lightswitch turns on the upstairs light, the upstairs lightswitch won't turn it off.

I have one Red and Two Blacks wires in the upstairs switch and i have both a single 1 way and a single 2way switch i can use.

Which should i use and can you please tell me the way round the wiring should go.

Many thanks.

Think you've got the strappers muddled up, but can't really help much more than that with out taking alook.

If you don't know what I'm taking about... Best off calling in an electrician

Jim

i believe the strappers are the link between both switches ?
am i correct ?

if so, may the problem be in the double two way switch downstairs ?

Could be.

It is difficult to explain, especially as you have red & black as strappers as opposed to Red yellow & blue.

Maybe post up a pic if you can.

Here is a pic of the downstairs switch.
It also has a Wire bridging the commons, the old switch had something similar and i added it to make it work.

I thought it looked odd and maybe this is the problem.
If so can you tell me if the Blks and reds are ok.

Thanks.

09022010205.jpg

First thing that springs to mind is that whichever of those is for the upstairs light, it is currently configured as a one way. As above though, hard to tell where you've gone wrong without looking at it.

Gotta love MK!!

Not the most generous when it comes to size of terminals, still,

First thing first, it appears to me you have very old wiring in your house!!!!

Now, this is going to be a process of elimination due to the lack of markings on the cables.

Do you have a any form of continuity tester so that you can establish which cables are which between upstairs & downstairs?

Power off of course!

no to th tester but a quick note to you.

Does the pic look correct ?

Am i being stupid here, does the Live(red) not go to the L1 terminals ?
I think i've confused myself by switching them around.

And the 2way switch upstairs has L1/L2/Common and 3 wires, two blks, one Red.

If the Reds downstairs go to the L1 then upstairs the red should too ?
Yes ?

also do i need the bridge ?

All sorted Guys.....Thanks.

It was the downstairs switch that was at fault. Got the Strappers totally wrong.

Cheers all :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to simple light switch query in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net