Discuss small scale solar power set up,help needed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

turboep82

well lads,very new to this and was looking in to setting up a small solar panel set up,im in college doing mechanical engineering so wont be studying much about this in great detail for a year or two,so every little help would be great,im looking to set up a panel and make enough energy to power a tv,light,a heater and to charge my laptop,what size of panel would i be looking to use,40w,100w or bigger and power storage how many batterys would i need to be charging.
cheers for any help lads.

look at the solar handbook by, I think, Michael Boxwell, it's on amazon. he is very useful on the off grid side of things
Your main problem is the heater, they use a lot of juice. You'll need a fairly hefty (read expensive) inverter to power this. The TV and lights aren't a problem. You'll need a regulator and caravan battery as well (these aren't cheap, I've got 2 in my van and they cost over £300 for the pair)

Also have a look at these guys who are good on that sort of thing
12v Solar

The set up in my van feeds a 600W inverter which is enough for a small microwave and a 240V socket for power tools (although they push the limits on the inverter a bit) or I can switch over to provide power for a water boiler. There are also about 4 lights running off it.
The 2 batteries will keep the water boiler ticking over all day on site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to small scale solar power set up,help needed in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I am a Design and Technology student completing my final project of a portable solar-powered esky/mini fridge cooling system, however...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, hoping someone can help with my problem.! A client of mine asked me to rig-up a little solar system to power a diaphragm air pump...
Replies
Views
So, I already have solar (an older FITS installation) and it's been particularly successful so I want to extend this. I'd like to do two things at...
Replies
Views
Sorry if it's in the wrong spot, feel free to move. The specific setup: 12v Bilge Pump wired to a 24v solar panel with a resistor (I think). The...
Replies
Views
G'day, In order to lower my electricity bill, I want to use the power of the sun to heat my hot tub. The setup is the following: A 100W solar...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock