Discuss Social media in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sanke

Hi all

Been doing a lot of work lately on website etc & a lot of info that I have read suggests using sites like Facebook Twitter etc I know some of you use them but wondered how many felt that it was worth getting a company page set up ?

If you have your own website baclinking to it using the anchor text you want your website to rank for such as "Manchester electrician" is a really great way to help your site rank for that phrase. Social media sites are great places to use for ranking your business websites, a great tip is to right content and then in that piece of content have a contextual link back to your site. Contextual links are very powerful and will really help your off page optimisation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Been doing a lot of work lately on website etc & a lot of info that I have read suggests using sites like Facebook Twitter etc I know some of you use them but wondered how many felt that it was worth getting a company page set up ?

Ni disrespect to John there, but I'll try to answer in English.......

In essence, yes, social media is a good way of linking back to your site.

BUT.

It is VERY easy to screw it up. If you are going to use social media - like twitter - for a professional presence, invest in some way of managing it. There are a number of tools out there to help "automate" tweets - but you also don't want to come off as a spamming bot.

Similarly with Facebook - most of the "look at our page on Facebook" stuff, is more marketing for Facebook than for you, directly - as you need a facebook account to see the pages. They're also high maintenance, and folk get wise to you linking say Twitter, FB and Linked in all on the same posts.

I'd tend to suggest that you do a Twitter account for your website first, and take it easy - keep it very separate from your personal account if you have one, and keep it focused and professional. Prepare to invest at least 30 minutes a day in tweeting.

I have an utter mission on my hands, as I didn't do most of the above, and now have (at some point) to go in and sort it all out - to try to realign our company twitter with the business.

It will, ultimately, help your website - so long as you mention it here and there, and hopefully get others to re-tweet it too. Google counts that as relevant traffic when indexing - but it does that with this site too (I think it still does).

Thanks guys
I have set up a "share button" on my site & also when I blog I can share with my facebook page very high tech huh ? Also when I update my site it automatically asks if I want to update via facebook

Thanks guys
I have set up a "share button" on my site & also when I blog I can share with my facebook page very high tech huh ? Also when I update my site it automatically asks if I want to update via facebook

What's your website address - I guess guys here would like to see all your hard work :)

Trouble with sites like our industry generally creates, is they are what are known as brochure sites - e.g. they don't get updated too often, and so auto links to Facebook and so on don't really work as the updates are so infrequent.

The best bet may be to manually update the page with news here and there, and do a manual Twitter account, adding followers and fans with interest in, or similar trade to, what you do - keeping it relevant along the way (but not a constant sales pitch either - quickest way to get unfollowed!).

Reply to Social media in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net