Discuss solar panel installation quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smethwick west midlands in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adrian1966

hello , i was advised to come on here due to the fact that i am more likely to encounter honest replies about having a 4kw solar panel system installed at my home.

i am looking for someone to quote me on a 4kw system on a pitched tiled roof. the underside has been sprayed with insulation foam about 9yrs ago. i am east to west facing. my electric consumption is 6681kwh annually and its a mid terrace 3 bedroom home. i have loft insulation , central heating with a combi boiler (9yrs old) double glazing.

i would like to take advantage of the governments feed in tariiff that is due to end in december.

i have had salesmen in but i dont trust them (commission orientated)

If anybody is willing to undertake this then please contact me.

thankyou adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: solar panel installation quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smethwick west midlan

Hi Adrian and welcome along, I have removed your mobile number to avoid you you becoming a victim of spam, I would let members contact you via pm to obtain your number.

Re: solar panel installation quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smethwick west midlan

too far from us, but is the spray foam insulation sprayed directly onto the tiles, or was there a layer of felt between it and the tiles?

If the former, be aware that this is a right git of a job and will involve 2-3 times the install time and lots of broken tiles to be replaced, so should cost extra.

Hi Adrian, we've done jobs around there though Sedgy may be around as well.

If the roof has to be repaired / replaced that will be at 20% VAT and not eligible for the 5% VAT on renewable energy installations. As you now have the enjoyment of a newly roofed area.

Bearing in mind as Gavin has said we could install 2-3 systems in the same time, it's not just the extra labour cost, it would also be our loss of profit on those jobs, as we are all incredibly busy at the moment and would be passing up on other opportunities.

In practice, if it is directly on the tiles we'll pass on the opportunity.

At the figure quoted you are a high user of electricity and would suggest that instead you spend the money on improving your insulation, ventilation and investing in every energy saving device you can; replace you boiler (Ideal is a good brand) add honeywell evohome on your heating for instance, LED lights EVERYWHERE, improve loft insulation even more, draught proofing, a new fridge and or freezer. You'll get as good (or better) a return on your investment.

Not being commission driven - hence our advice above, we'll pass thanks as it is likely to cause us and you more grief than it's worth.

Time to accept that some roofs just aren't suitable...

There are some examples on this site of just how badly an installation on roofs insulated this way that can go wrong.

Anyone else PUSHING you to do this, is selling you a problem.
We have comes across situations in the past where consumer/customer greed is driving their decision, once again we pass on those opportunities as we know they will be a problem further down the road.

If you still want to go ahead with someone,
1) Ask for a full method statement and details of their warranties and who underwrites them, (they MUST have an insurance back workmanship warranty) before you hand over any monies.
2) Insist on the warranty insurance document within 7 days of signing the contract
3) DO NOT sign any waiver of the 14 day cooling off period.
4) Cancel immediately after 7 days if you haven't got the insurance document by then. - DO NOT be fobbed off with ANY excuse whatsoever for delays in issuing the documents.

Last edited:

Hi Adrian

to far away for me, may be a bitch to get the tiles out & you may break a few but why not go for an in roof system when you are looking at stripping some tiles & you may have lossses at least you won't need to put them back in after the work is complete.
This means removing a larger section that the panels will sit in & then install the system.
good luck.
try looking at easy roof, GSE, Renusol, systems like that.

hello , i was advised to come on here due to the fact that i am more likely to encounter honest replies about having a 4kw solar panel system installed at my home.

i am looking for someone to quote me on a 4kw system on a pitched tiled roof. the underside has been sprayed with insulation foam about 9yrs ago. i am east to west facing. my electric consumption is 6681kwh annually and its a mid terrace 3 bedroom home. i have loft insulation , central heating with a combi boiler (9yrs old) double glazing.

i would like to take advantage of the governments feed in tariiff that is due to end in december.

i have had salesmen in but i dont trust them (commission orientated)

If anybody is willing to undertake this then please contact me.

thankyou adrian

We are based in Oldbury, a whole mile down the road more than happy to discuss this with you

Reply to solar panel installation quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smethwick west midlands in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net