Discuss Some People Just Don`t Learn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tazz

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Got called to a HMO job a few years ago, where a Indian builder had completed the job before BC had surveyed the building....needless to say they they pull it to pieces, no fire alarm, em lighting, fire doors, electrical or gas certs etc...so all was ripped out and redone at a cost.
Today the same builder has constructed 2 new house builds, ready to sell off, and calls me in.....Can you sign off the BC cert for the smoke alarms..?
Firstly I didn`t fit them, so who ever did should sign it off, secondly the install consisted of a ionization detector in the lounge kitchen, and another in the front bedroom linked together....no detection in hallway or landing. I was then asked, did I know anyone who could certify the electrical and gas installation.
Needless to say BC wont allow the 2 houses to be marketed before all this is sorted....

No this is in Woolwich London....BC are on the ball and very strict, even if its sign they won`t sign the building off.

No this is in Woolwich London....BC are on the ball and very strict, even if its sign they won`t sign the building off.

Is there not any penalties for this man in carrying this out. Makes an absolute mockery of the system for the rest of us. I know the electrical schemes our laughable with enforcement but Gas Safe must be interested surely?

Is there not any penalties for this man in carrying this out. Makes an absolute mockery of the system for the rest of us. I know the electrical schemes our laughable with enforcement but Gas Safe must be interested surely?

Surely if they keep bumping him in the pocket and make him do it again and again he will get the message .

The building control in this neck of the woods are a bit more pro active , by that I mean they actually want to know who the Electrical contractor is and what is their scheme and enrolment number , quite often before work even starts or at the start of work when theres either a new build or extension ..

When I worked in the London area their were all sorts of dodges going on , mostly with the foreign community ...

They should make an example of him. Assuming supplies our connected, he still has electrical and gas systems installed and live yet unchecked and untested. Although BC won't sign off (which is something) he should still be penalised in addition to this.

They should make an example of him. Assuming supplies our connected, he still has electrical and gas systems installed and live yet unchecked and untested. Although BC won't sign off (which is something) he should still be penalised in addition to this.

And then widely publicised as much as possible...

Similar sort of situation, I priced up a block of 9 flats (old hotel conversion to flats) didn't win the job. About 8months later get a phone call off the bloke so go along and have a look polish builders had done the electrical work that was diabolical and no fire alarm or emergency lighting etc. Building control wouldn't sign the job off obviously and he wanted me to notify and sign of the electrical work and also install a fire alarm. He wasn't to happy when I started laughing at him whilst making my way to the front door to leave lol.

The be all and end all is this guy has 2 houses worth £500k each, and now can`t sell then until approved by BC....

I am afraid you are wrong,my friend. They cannot prevent him marketing OR selling his properties.

They can certainly not issue certs etc,and can instigate a number of enforcement or litigation procedures.

BUT....if someone chooses to purchase them,and then someone decides to rent a room in one...they can.

Even if they lodge an interest at the land registry,people buy and sell every day,without these documents being either available,or certain. Some of my friends earn a living doing just this. :icon12:

I am afraid you are wrong,my friend. They cannot prevent him marketing OR selling his properties.

They can certainly not issue certs etc,and can instigate a number of enforcement or litigation procedures.

BUT....if someone chooses to purchase them,and then someone decides to rent a room in one...they can.

Even if they lodge an interest at the land registry,people buy and sell every day,without these documents being either available,or certain. Some of my friends earn a living doing just this. :icon12:

If that is true..which I very much doubt without BC sign off.....would you buy it...?

500K? For a house not signed off it would have to be a cash sale as no Buillding society or bank would lend that amount in the present climate.

If that is true..which I very much doubt without BC sign off.....would you buy it...?

True,it is,lenders,vendors and any other interests will have their individual requirements,which will vary in flexibility,but cannot prevent a sale,between two consenting parties.

Usually,it is AFTER the sale,that people stumble about attempting solving certs,consents etc.

Obviously,if a deal is agreed on the basis of,say,a loft conversion being a habitable space,and it is not,that is a legal selling issue,but does not prevent a sale.

As a small example,of the many issues such as this,i have either been involved in or viewed,a while back,Manchester City FC sold their training facility close to where i live,and the new owners found out part of it had been built on green belt land,without planning consent.
Did the sale fail? Was the planning committee up nights worrying? ....:icon12:

True,it is,lenders,vendors and any other interests will have their individual requirements,which will vary in flexibility,but cannot prevent a sale,between two consenting parties.

Usually,it is AFTER the sale,that people stumble about attempting solving certs,consents etc.

Obviously,if a deal is agreed on the basis of,say,a loft conversion being a habitable space,and it is not,that is a legal selling issue,but does not prevent a sale.

As a small example,of the many issues such as this,i have either been involved in or viewed,a while back,Manchester City FC sold their training facility close to where i live,and the new owners found out part of it had been built on green belt land,without planning consent.
Did the sale fail? Was the planning committee up nights worrying? ....:icon12:

Conveyance solicitors find enough stumbling blocks with bonafide house sales let alone no BC sign off, I think in reality the sale would fall through at the first hurdle.

Not so much "after the sale" these days, lenders are generally wanting all kinds of certs and details of any work carried out by the vendor. I have known several house sales fall through due to lack of documentation. My missus has been an estate agent for the last 22 years and it drives her potty when a sale falls through often due to next to nothing.

500K? For a house not signed off it would have to be a cash sale as no Buillding society or bank would lend that amount in the present climate.

Partly true.

Banks,building societies and other lenders,lend, based on risk.

If they are lending 60% of the purchase cost,and the lack of certs or similar,is assessed as reducing its' value by 10%,they may well guage the risk as fine.

They may increase the cost of said loan,or decline. The appetite for risk withered,post 2007,but the signs are now showing,of a relaxing lending policy,manifesting itself in some selective property boosts.

I will leave you with a pretty salutary example of the mid 2000's lending race...a friend purchased a property,with a mortgage from a well known high-street bank...£380,000...looked VERY expensive to me,but...few years down the road,re-mortgages with the same lender for another £100,000...he has some problems,towels it,and drops it back on the banks toes.

Property goes up for auction,and sells,(to a gentleman i also know) for less than £250,000.

Now,this property has issues with the ownership of the land it sits on,its' water and electric come from and via,the original owner (owns land adjacent) the gas meter hut is owned (1m x 2m) by same,one boundary has a strip of land (of disputed size) owned by someone else.......i could go on about the sewerage,rights of access etc etc but you get the picture...

Did any of these long standing issues prevent any sale,in either instance? ...I rest,your honour...:icon12:

Reply to Some People Just Don`t Learn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net