Discuss Splice wire in the breaker panel or install a junction panel/box and splice there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all, thank you in advance for any helpful insights posted in response to my question.

I have just moved into a new home. With my new home being in Florida, the thought of a hurricane wiping out power to my home for days or weeks is unsettling. So I've opted to purchase a generator and wire my house with a generator inlet box and a interlock kit on my main panel. I've already installed the generator inlet box and an interlock kit.

My dilemma is this: I've got two sub panels in my garage which are adjacent to each other. (Only one of which can be powered with the generator inlet box). When they wired the circuits they seem to have not taken any thought to supplying one of the boxes with more critical circuits and putting the less necessary circuits on the other. I planned to move them from one panel to the other as the panels are directly next to each other. However there is not enough slack in the wiring to allow for this. I am needing to swap 3-4 circuits from each panel into the other. What would be the best option for this scenario. Would you splice the wires in their original panel and then pass them to the other panel. Or would you install a junction box/panel directly above the two sub panels and then splice the circuit in the junction box?

Please see the photos attached.

IMG_6776 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6777 Medium.jpeg

Hello,

First of all, thank you in advance for any helpful insights posted in response to my question.

I have just moved into a new home. With my new home being in Florida, the thought of a hurricane wiping out power to my home for days or weeks is unsettling. So I've opted to purchase a generator and wire my house with a generator inlet box and a interlock kit on my main panel. I've already installed the generator inlet box and an interlock kit.

My dilemma is this: I've got two sub panels in my garage which are adjacent to each other. (Only one of which can be powered with the generator inlet box). When they wired the circuits they seem to have not taken any thought to supplying one of the boxes with more critical circuits and putting the less necessary circuits on the other. I planned to move them from one panel to the other as the panels are directly next to each other. However there is not enough slack in the wiring to allow for this. I am needing to swap 3-4 circuits from each panel into the other. What would be the best option for this scenario. Would you splice the wires in their original panel and then pass them to the other panel. Or would you install a junction box/panel directly above the two sub panels and then splice the circuit in the junction box?

Please see the photos attached.

View attachment 110326View attachment 110327
It’s not ideal but you can splice circuits inside of the panel.

Reply to Splice wire in the breaker panel or install a junction panel/box and splice there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net