Discuss Split phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmer

Could I have as much info regarding split phase installation complications to a new farm dairy unit I am going to be starting soon.
what I've heard so far:-
you should not switch neutrals on split phase circuits
how is volt drop calculated on 480v supplies for sub mains
can you have a 4 core sub main with 2 phases, neutral and earth of equal sizes or should I double the neutral?
are there any issues using a 2 pole rcd main switches on 2x single phase boards?
there will be no split phase circuits apart from the sub main which will be swa

all help much appreciated

Your profile doesn't give out much info jimmer, are you an Electrician?

Why would you want to switch the neutral? Or do you mean you shouldn't use Switches which break both L and N?

Volt drop is calculated the same way it is for any other circuit, ohms law doesn't change!

What makes you think you need to double the neutral? Do you treble the neutral for 3 phase supplies?

Why would you want to switch the neutral? Or do you mean you shouldn't use Switches which break both L and N?

Volt drop is calculated the same way it is for any other circuit, ohms law doesn't change!

What makes you think you need to double the neutral? Do you treble the neutral for 3 phase supplies?

It is to do with the star point on the transformer disconnecting first and voltage rising I think, not a great deal of info on this topic

yes I know of ohms law and your saying I should use 480v?

i suspected one neutral of an equal size to phase, as phases are 180 degrees apart

It is to do with the star point on the transformer disconnecting first and voltage rising I think, not a great deal of info on this topic

yes I know of ohms law and your saying I should use 480v?

i suspected one neutral of an equal size to phase, as phases are 180 degrees apart

If the phases are 180degrees apart where did you get 480V from? It'll be 0V if they are at 180 degrees, you get 480V from two 240V phases which are in phase (at 0degrees)

Tony has posted a very good thread on the subject of transformers somewhere around this forum, reading it will help you understand the theory of this.

By the sounds of it you're only going to have 240v final circuits so you can 'split' the supply at source into 2 x separate single phase supplies into 2x single phase consumer units. This would be preferable for me because you avoid the need to use MCB's and RCD's rated to 530 volts or higher.

The supply should rightly be called “centre tapped”, 240V→0→240V = 480V, or in simpler terms L1→N→L2.

And before anyone starts, the two legs aren’t at 180° phase angles, they are “in phase” IE at 0°.
I[SUB]n[/SUB]=I[SUB]1[/SUB]-l[SUB]2[/SUB] or I[SUB]n[/SUB]=I[SUB]2[/SUB]-l[SUB]1[/SUB], whichever give a +ve value so the neutral can be of equal size to the line. Therefore the neutral current will never be greater than either line.

If they were at 180° then:
L[SUB]1[/SUB]→N=240V
L[SUB]2[/SUB]→N=240V.
L[SUB]1[/SUB]→L[SUB]2[/SUB]=0V
I[SUB]n[/SUB]=L[SUB]1[/SUB]+L[SUB]2[/SUB]

If only single phase circuits are to be used then the only >400V equipment needed is the OCPD at the origin, BS88 fuses cover that easily.
If you intend to install two boards by the supply intake you can dispense with the separate OCPD. Downstream of the intake it’s treated as two independent supplies.

In reality it’s no different to a centre tapped site transformer but in this instance the centre tap is used as neutral as well as being connected to earth.

I have drawings to illustrate this system but I’m sorry I’ll not post them here.

Don’t they teach theory anymore? This is basic apprentice stuff.

For interest:
The last true 480V load I came across was in my grandfathers milking parlour, 40+ years back. That was just for the two motors for the vacuum header, every thing else was bog standard 240V.

Last edited by a moderator:
The supply should rightly be called “centre tapped”, 240V→0→240V = 480V, or in simpler terms L1→N→L2.

And before anyone starts, the two legs aren’t at 180° phase angles, they are “in phase” IE at 0°.
I[SUB]n[/SUB]=I[SUB]1[/SUB]-l[SUB]2[/SUB] or I[SUB]n[/SUB]=I[SUB]2[/SUB]-l[SUB]1[/SUB], whichever give a +ve value so the neutral can be of equal size to the line. Therefore the neutral current will never be greater than either line.

L[SUB]1[/SUB]→N=240V
L[SUB]2[/SUB]→N=240V.

If only single phase circuits are to be used then the only >400V equipment needed is the OCPD at the origin, BS88 fuses cover that easily.
If you intend to install two boards by the supply intake you can dispense with the separate OCPD. Downstream of the intake it’s treated as two independent supplies.

In reality it’s no different to a centre tapped site transformer but in this instance the centre tap is used as neutral as well as being connected to earth.

I have drawings to illustrate this system but I’m sorry I’ll not post them here.

For interest:
The last true 480V load I came across was in my grandfathers milking parlour, 40+ years back. That was just for the two motors for the vacuum header, every thing else was bog standard 240V.

I can't say that i've ever seen such a Centre Tapped 240v-0-240v /480 volt set-up in the field, ...so to speak!! lol!! Must be a rural overhead supply set-up, seen a few old wierd and wonderful rural TX supplies when i was working with my uncle after school/weekends....

L[SUB]1[/SUB]→N=240V
L[SUB]2[/SUB]→N=240V.

For interest:

Hi Tony , thinking about it , if it is on a new dairy unit ? It may still need the upfront s-type to be rated for the higher voltage , depending on how he plans to provide a point of main isolation

If the phases are 180degrees apart where did you get 480V from? It'll be 0V if they are at 180 degrees, you get 480V from two 240V phases which are in phase (at 0degrees)...........
I think the confusion comes because if you have a tester that shows you the voltage waveform as a graph and you connect firstly with your red test lead on the L1 and the black test lead on N it will show you a waveform that's 180 degrees apart from the same test with the red lead on L2 and the black lead on N.

As you correctly say though the waveforms are actually in sync hence you don't get zero volts L1-L2.

Hi Tony , thinking about it , if it is on a new dairy unit ? It may still need the upfront s-type to be rated for the higher voltage , depending on how he plans to provide a point of main isolation

S rating is a time function of the operating characteristics of the RCD. Nothing to do with the maximum operational voltage.

To add an S rated RCD is purely the decision of the designer when bearing in mind the downstream equipment and its location, etc.

If you treat the 480V supply as purely two supplies then it will be no different to any other installation.

If like my grandfathers farm there are motors operating at 480V then the easiest way is to have a sub board solely for that one purpose fed by Henley blocks off the tails.

In effect you will have three boards, two at 230V and one at 480V. You can use a multi phase board BUT this adds the problem of 2 pole switching while the majority of the load is Sp+N

Board 1 480V L1→L2
Board 2 240V L1→N
Board 3 230V N→L2

Hi Tony , it was not so much it being an s-type ( although prudent for discrimination ) , it was more the fact that it being a dairy unit he will need an upfront rcd of 300mA or less to protect the whole installation .
And as it will almost undoubtedly need to be TT ( as I have never yet come across a holding that has had the designed considerations for it not to be ) , I would expect to see it double as a point of main isolation as well .

Sorry I should have explained myself better the first time

This is quite simple, its classed as a single phase three wire system. In effect two phases 180 degree apart, the neutral point being at the center between the two phases.

They cant be in phase, draw out two vectors with the same direction and magnitude.

Cheers

I’ve been avoiding posting any of my drawings here.

Basic03_zps3aaa6535.jpg

This is quite simple, its classed as a single phase three wire system. In effect two phases 180 degree apart, the neutral point being at the center between the two phases.

They cant be in phase, draw out two vectors with the same direction and magnitude.

Cheers

Read up on transformer phase and vector angles and then tell me I'm wrong.

vectorangles01_zpse2dac309.jpg

Reply to Split phase in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net