Discuss Sporadic light flickering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ZapHelp

DIY
Reaction score
I am not an electrician but am looking for some advice as to how to fix my sporadic light flickering problem that has come and gone for the year and a half I have lived in my house

I have LED lights throughout the house that generally provided steady lighting, but a few times a day they will quickly flicker once/twice at a time. Over the past couple months they seemed to stop doing this, but the past three days it looks like the problem came back and I want to resolve it once and for all. I don't know if it relevant but want to mention it hasn't really rained for the past week (to potentially rule out any electrical/water related issue).

It occurs throughout the house in every room and even the lights that are connected to outlets. I have a tenant living on a different floor that has their own breaker box, and they claim they have not seen any flickering over the same year and a half. That said, some people who have been in my house have noticed the flickering and others have not (so it's possible my tenant may just not have noticed).

I also had one electrician come by who checked all the connections (light switches, outlets, and subpanel) and they said there was a loose neutral on the subpanel that they tightened. After they did this, the flickering seemed to go away for a few weeks, but then came back.

I had the utility company come by and they did some sort of testing at the main panel and showed me that there was no voltage fluctuation. The also did the same testing at my subpanel and noted the same thing. If I recall correctly, they said that one of the main wires connecting to the busbar was not 100% snug and suggested that could be the problem, but they said it wasn't within their scope of services to fix that.

In case this info is relevant - I have NOT had any of the circuit breakers go off, and I have never had any of my electric items (e.g., TV, computers, washing machine, etc) turn off randomly. It seems to be limited to the lights only.

So what should be my next step? Is the busbar comment from the utility company the likely cause of this and I should call an electrician back in? Is there anything else to consider before calling another electrician back in?

Are the lighting circuits two way switching, if so it could be a ghost voltage from the permanent live in the circuit, lights may need a snubber.

@Mike Johnson some of the lights are on two way switches but some are not. The flickering occurs in all the rooms regardless of type of switch, but not certain if occurs simultaneously across all rooms since it's so quick

@Chivers I have some lights on dimmers but the flickers occur on both lights with dimmers and lights without dimmers

If the connecting cables between switches run close to each other then yes, it could also be that the LED bulbs do not have a good enough quality driver.

Reply to Sporadic light flickering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net