Discuss Spur from a Spur (via FCU in Grid) - Scotland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
EF05B280-6803-454B-B1AD-D269056301C1.jpeg
Hi All

Apologies if this is a silly question. I’m looking to to add a double socket just before an under counter washing machine socket (unswitched at faceplate) which is supplied via a grid switch (photo attached).

Is it within the regs if the 2 gang grid is swapped to a 3 gang & and a 13a grid fuse is added into the washing machine spur before the new double socket? Or if it cannot be done via the grid module, could a separate 13a FCU be added above the grid panel and the washing machine spur connect into that before going on to the double socket and washing machine socket.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Gordon

Not a silly question at all.

What is the fuse/breaker and cable protecting this circuit? I imagine it will either be a 20A and a radial circuit to the grid switch, which then feeds the separate points, or a 32A Ring Final Circuit to the grid switch, with spurs from each isolation switch. It might also be a radial in 4mm Twin and earth, with a 32A breaker.

What do you plan to plug into this new socket? Is it likely to be high load appliances, or just low power items?

If it's a 20A protected circuit, then adding another socket with no changes to protection/grid switch would in theory be fine, except that the circuit might be at risk of overload in normal usage, if the tumble drier and washing machine are both on at the same time - and depending on what the new socket will be used for.

If it's a Ring Final Circuit to the grid switch, then you could either:

1. Add a new grid switch at the grid, which feeds just the new socket you want
2. Add a Fuse either at the grid switch or as an FCU anywhere before the new socket, so that you are in effect creating a fused spur, which can have multiple sockets. Again, some consideration should be given to whatever the loading will be as it is not good practise to load an FCU regularly at close to (or even slightly more than) its rating for any length of time - that is a recipe for melted contacts, though a quality FCU helps.

If your simply changing a single socket (on the end of the spur) to a double…. Nothing else needs to be done, as a single or a double still counts as “one” point.
If you were adding a second single onto the spur, that would need an FCU
(Assuming 32A ring final circuit)

As above, it depends what you’re planning to plug in. Another high powered white goods appliance could overload the double socket, or the wiring.

An FCU would limit the load on the spur to 13A, giving some protection… but let us know what you’re planning to use the extra outlet for.

If your simply changing a single socket (on the end of the spur) to a double…. Nothing else needs to be done, as a single or a double still counts as “one” point.
If you were adding a second single onto the spur, that would need an FCU
(Assuming 32A ring final circuit)

As above, it depends what you’re planning to plug in. Another high powered white goods appliance could overload the double socket, or the wiring.

An FCU would limit the load on the spur to 13A, giving some protection… but let us know what you’re planning to use the extra outlet for.
Thanks for the advice both. It’s a 32A ring final circuit. The socket is to power a Perfect Draft beer machine (nice early Xmas pressie from my wife!) which draws 70W of power (average 40W) so not that high powered.

The grid switches are on the wall at the other side of the room so running a new switch would be quite a bit of work. I think I’ll put an FCU directly above the new over counter double socket which then feeds the single washer socket under the counter.

Reply to Spur from a Spur (via FCU in Grid) - Scotland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net