Discuss Spurred power via fcu and possibly a light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

entech

Hi all, I was looking at having power and light. Is it possible to spur from existing ring main via 13 amp switched fcu and 2.5 mm to supply one double socket outlet and then come off that via a 3amp switched fcu and 1mm to supply one pendant light fitting. It will all be surface mounted so will be visible.

Hi all, I was looking at having power and light. Is it possible to spur from existing ring main via 13 amp switched fcu and 2.5 mm to supply one double socket outlet and then come off that via a 3amp switched fcu and 1mm to supply one pendant light fitting. It will all be surface mounted so will be visible.

Have you looked in the BGB? near the back???

Many things are possible.... What you are suggesting is not ideal, but is often a quick-fix where no other options are viable.

be useful if you told us what you have in situ to the outhouse at present.

Would a little sub-main into a garage board not be better, you know once you have power down there it won't be long before you want to extend it that little bit further to the shed or wherever and be back on asking the same question?

As it is in a outhouse I just didn't want to run a new light circuit out there aswell.

you'd need rcd protection for the socket, because it's more than likely that it'll be used for a lawn mower, pressure washer etc.

what sort of earthing system does your property have?

does this outhouse have any extraneous metalwork? either, for example, in the frame of the structure or via copper piping to a tap? if it does, and your dwelling is pme, then you'll have to consider sinking an earth rod (for the outhouse) in order to TT it, or, run a 10mm 6491x in order to provide main equipotential bonding to the conductive parts of the outhouse.

i think tel' and murdoch are still blathered from 'grab a granny night' on thursday.

edit: to be fair, the op only mentioned that it was an outhouse a few hours ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

so you have a blank canvas. the preferred way is to feed from CU with SWA to the outhouse, then fit a garage board ( RCD and 2 MCBs. sockets @ 20A and lights @ 6A ). as long as the complete run is SWA, then RCD protection at CU is not required. as said, need to determine if there's extraneous conductive parts and if PME, then a 10mm bonding conductor back to the MET is required ( or TT the outhouse.

Running from cu to a garage board is out of question really.

there are no extraneous conductive parts at all.

What about if I stick with original idea. And instead of second fcu for 1mm lighting how about if I omit the second fcu and just wire the light and sw with 2.5mm.

No you defo need a fused spur for the light with a 3 amp fuse in it if your going to do it the original way, but its still not ideal If you get any damp in the shed electrics your RCD going to be tripping out coursing you problems.

Reply to Spurred power via fcu and possibly a light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net