Discuss SSE Electricity supply work i seen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Heres a picture i took on my phone at the beggining of this year on a job, what does everyone think?

Their orange cables supply three flats and a common close meter.
We took one week to install metal trunking for these to run along up the stairs, to prevent damage or tampering :disappointed:

Unless i'm missing something too obvious to see, ....my comments.

So what's protecting these concentric tails to the 3 flats from the main head then?? Never seen or heard of the DNO using what are ''Neutral link Tubes'' in the main service head in place of HRC fuses,...Never!!!

Get the DNO out and ask for an explanation as to why this installation has been left in this condition...

The protection is the same as breaching a concentric in to the street feeder. It’s a bloody mess though.

As i say never seen anything like this set-up from a DNO in what is a multi dwelling domestic. The DNO Installation protection should be within the service head, anything past that service head is on the consumers side, and should meet the requirement of BS7671.

A ''Bloody is Mess'' is a pretty good assessment mate!! lol!!

It’s not my field so I’ll ask.

What is the situation in flats where the freeholder wants a DNO supply direct to a leaseholders property?

It’s a not something I’ve ever even considered before. I did run a property management company a few years back but this never arose.

What is the situation in flats where the freeholder wants a DNO supply direct to a leaseholders property?

It’s a not something I’ve ever even considered before. I did run a property management company a few years back but this never arose.
never seen it done like that always gone into a meter room

The lack in protection of the single insulated line cores was my first thought of it being messy and the fact that the work was carried out by a digger driver got me thinking..

usually you will find the 100A fuses at the service head and solid links in the cut-outs in the flats, not the other way around. They are called red links normally, and are usually distinguishable by Red fuse carriers/cut-outs.

Other then that, the single insulation on the concentric is the worst 'fault'
That is split-concentric (seperate Neutral and earth, usually four strands of the outer are bare and used for earth, the rest are sleeved blue and used for neutral) and as such the supplys to each flat are usually TNS.
The neutral/earths all connect into that Henley block which then has just A Green/yellow 16mm connecting it to the PME terminal

Altogether fairly rough I would say - are you sure its not just temporary until a new Head is installed?

Tony - usually we would run Split-Con like this from the original service position to a 'Red link' cut-out and meter in the 'leaseholdrs' property, the red links are solid links and the 1361 fuse would be at the main service intake (usually in a ryfield). This means that the supplies to each flat would Be TNS derived from TNCS.

Tony - usually we would run Split-Con like this from the original service position to a 'Red link' cut-out and meter in the 'leaseholdrs' property, the red links are solid links and the 1361 fuse would be at the main service intake (usually in a ryfield). This means that the supplies to each flat would Be TNS derived from TNCS.

a Suedo TNS system, that will still be TNC-S to all intendant purposes. I agree, a small ryefield would have been a much better solution to supply these three flats, but still with the main cut-out BS1361 HRC fuses located in the service head, where they should be!!

Reply to SSE Electricity supply work i seen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net