Discuss Staircase Lighting Timer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkydude

Hi All, just after a bit of advice with regards to using the following staircase timer from theben.

ELPA 7

Just need to confirm that i can wire it with two cores in parallel with no indicator lamps fitted.

It is to be used in a hospital corridor to override the timeclock when its dark inside and the photocell is holding off as the light cell outside says its still bright.

Basically just need to push retractuve switch , switch operates staircase timer set to 20 minutes then after 20 mins , goes off.

Could someone have a butchers at the diagrams as they seem to say 3 or 4 wire operation , but does not show my particular set up.

ANy help appreciated

Nick

Hi Sparkydude

Can't magnify your picture enough to see the connections, should imagine it needs L-N to it, if the other two are the switch connections then yes it would be OK to parallel the time switch connections to overide.

I take your original post to mean that you want to use this timer to override the time switch, if that is the case then you need a switch live, a switch wire and a neutral at this unit, don't understand which switch you only have two wires at, you want to use the slide switch on the unit to bring on your lighting for 20 minutes yes?

No , idea is to have retractive switches in the field to enable the client to power the lights up for 20minutes if they feel the need. so the push to make switches have only 2 cores at them

Hope this is clearer

Nick

hi guys, just a quick question while use r on the subject.

first off ill be changing a broken existing timer (no labelling diagram) that is knackered and will be replacing it with same timer ur discussing above when i upgrade a fuse board this weekend.

correct me if im wrong:
L: incoming
N: incoming
3: load (light fittings feed)
L+4: switching cable operating push switches (N/o) in parallel on each floor with on/off light switch on bottom of staircase acting as override to turn off or on permanently during opening hours (office building), would this work on timer mode and stay on permanently if need be as long as contact is closed ie light switch on ground floor permanently in 'on' position.

any help would be appreciated!

Hi Jay.

Yes your connections are right for the staircase switches and lights, but for an override function you would need to connect your switch to terminals 1 and 3 in the timer.

You ask "would this work on timer mode AND stay on permanently" not sure what you mean by that, the timer mode is activated by the staircase switches, maximum 'on' 20 min. but once the timer is overridden by the normal light switch, the lights would be permanently on.

Reply to Staircase Lighting Timer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net